Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

Maybe this is all just a marketing ploy so when they drop the price a bit everyone goes for it.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Sorry for the late response, I did not see your question until now.

There can always be improvements price wise, no one would say no I don't want to pay less. But for what is brought on, and who the intended target is. yes I think it's just.
so you think its just that cptk can upgrade for $350 and get all the power of a $1000 hd upgrade and not need to use any avid hardware? And the guys using avid hardware have to pay $1000 for the software?

Sounds to me like avid is pushing all of us away from their hardware. If this is the intended goal then they should have a stock price lower then $7
Old 10-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Does anyone else see an implied threat in the HD upgrade pricing? Like if we skip 10 and wait for 11 we'll be penalized $1500?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveskinner View Post
Does anyone else see an implied threat in the HD upgrade pricing? Like if we skip 10 and wait for 11 we'll be penalized $1500?
yeah, but they´ll be no-moneylized by many for 10,11,12,...

the only ones having to fear the 1500,- upgrade from 9 to 11 are hd native users

hd tdm users won´t be able to use 11

Old 10-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
there´s no infos at the moment about their hollow-contract.
okay thanks !
I´ve seen the 1499$ / 1300€ yesterday
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
yeah, but they´ll be no-moneylized by many for 10,11,12,...

the only ones having to fear the 1500,- upgrade from 9 to 11 are hd native users

hd tdm users won´t be able to use 11
I'm thinking if I wait for 11 to upgrade my HD Accel hardware to HDX I'll be penalized as well
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveskinner View Post
I'm thinking if I wait for 11 to upgrade my HD Accel hardware to HDX I'll be penalized as well
no. that way the hardware isn´t brand new and the software is included

must be cheaper than right now.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix View Post
Just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of people are slightly overreacting & looking at this situation a little wrong. The price of the HD software upgrade is almost insanely clear that it's the incentive to get the new HD hardware (it's a bit of a gut punch I'll admit.)

Now seriously, can we really complain that the current line of hardware has lasted for almost 10 years? I've gone through 3 computer systems and the entire music business has completely changed in the time that my HD system has been running smoothly. They are asking us to invest in their next gen for hardware which will allow them to move forward with the software features everyone has been asking for. There are plenty of threads already covering this topic in depth.

Most of the people that will take the initial plunge are more along the lines of major facilities that can basically afford to overhaul a room and test the new full system. That's why a lot of the new features work well for post facilities. This will probably work as long as they make the upgrade cost and path to the new hardware make more sense for current TDM users.

Seriously, I think the upgraded voice count alone makes this upgrade look really good! I just want more info on the new AAX format.
I don't disagree with the general direction of your post...but for many of us, your last statement isn't terribly important. Perhaps major films do need the up-to-500+ tracks, but for most music work, and for a lot of post work, 192 tracks is typically workable. Actually, very workable.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
192 tracks is typically workable. Actually, very workable.
it is in most cases, while 256 would be more than enough.

why do avid think their users are dumb?

if HDX is great and/or needed, people will buy it anyway if they can. i would sometime next year, but i can´t support that kind of "support".

there´s absolutely no sense in raising the upgrade price to "force" people to buy into hardware. that doesn´t work. WE CHOOSE WHEN TO BUY WHICH KIND OF GEAR!!!

whoever is responsible for that great idea, should better look out for another job. he´s failed completely on that one. and time will tell if they are brave enough to change that failure. they can give 999,- upgraders a coupon, or wait for the cheaper price till december and call the 999,- an "early adopter".

the sad thing is, they could have done all perfect.

the new features are nice, the new card is nice, splitting card/interface bundles would be nice, adequate software upgrade prices would be nice. they would have sold A LOT.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
so you think its just that cptk can upgrade for $350 and get all the power of a $1000 hd upgrade and not need to use any avid hardware? And the guys using avid hardware have to pay $1000 for the software?

Sounds to me like avid is pushing all of us away from their hardware. If this is the intended goal then they should have a stock price lower then $7
I think you should read this as you would see that you do not get everything HD gets even if you use the cptk.

Inputs are still limited to 32, and you don't get Solo bus AFL/PFL. I'm sure there's other things not mentioned in that.

If you didn't have the cptk before you'll have to pay nearly 2000 for it, like usual. Which means that the 1000 fee for the HD upgrade is still less expansive than that route.

Wave-T.com