Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2020, 04:35 PM

Default 2019-2020 Mac Pro and Pro tools (HDX)...user reports?

Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Mac Pro to use with Pro tools HDX.
Right now, i have a 2010 Mac Pro and it's time to change, it cant keep up with my larger sessions and plugin usage.

I mainly do music, so i use AAX DSP plugins for the tracking stage and when i am 100% mixing, i use mainly native plugins. And with the new system, i would like to be able to run all my projects in 96k. Cant do it right now with the 2010 Mac Pro. Only for small sessions.

Usually, at mix stage, i'll have from 40 to audio 150 tracks, with CPU hungry plugins like Multiplicity, Dynone, etc... I dont use a lot of software instruments. it's mainly acoustic tracks.

I would like to have some feedback from people who made the move to the new Mac Pro. How much more processing power do you have available in real life situation? 2 times, 3 times, 5 times? Do you have a lot of headroom at 96k?

How the new mac pro works with HDX, for those of you who have HDX? Is it as stable as the old mac pros?

How is Pro Tools running on Catalina? Any problems? Any plugin that are not compatible?

I've read the long Mac Pro thread here and it has a lot of great information, but i would like to have more feedback from users about mixing and working experience with the new Mac Pro.

And anything to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Luc
Old 10-03-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Re: 2019-2020 Mac Pro and Pro tools (HDX)...user reports?

I made the jump from an old 2012 Mac Pro. So I went from maxing out processing and having to commit tracks at times on large pop mixes to barely scratching the surface of what's available on my new 12 core Mac Pro.

It's been rock solid for me on Catalina. The only bite is the inability to import AAC files and QuickTime stuff is messed up. And I'm not sure if it's Apple or Avid, but it would be nice if the two of them would work together and get that sorted out.

That's my only complaint.

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 10-04-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleiweke View Post
I made the jump from an old 2012 Mac Pro. So I went from maxing out processing and having to commit tracks at times on large pop mixes to barely scratching the surface of what's available on my new 12 core Mac Pro.

It's been rock solid for me on Catalina. The only bite is the inability to import AAC files and QuickTime stuff is messed up. And I'm not sure if it's Apple or Avid, but it would be nice if the two of them would work together and get that sorted out.

That's my only complaint.
Thanks Sleiweke. That’s good to know. How many cores did you had on your 2012 Mac Pro?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:39 AM

My old Mac Pro had 12 as well. I had upgraded it processors to 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon. It was a great computer but it was limping along and was showing its age for sure.

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 10-05-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Mac Pro to use with Pro tools HDX.
Right now, i have a 2010 Mac Pro and it's time to change, it cant keep up with my larger sessions and plugin usage.

I mainly do music, so i use AAX DSP plugins for the tracking stage and when i am 100% mixing, i use mainly native plugins. And with the new system, i would like to be able to run all my projects in 96k. Cant do it right now with the 2010 Mac Pro. Only for small sessions.

Usually, at mix stage, i'll have from 40 to audio 150 tracks, with CPU hungry plugins like Multiplicity, Dynone, etc... I dont use a lot of software instruments. it's mainly acoustic tracks.

I would like to have some feedback from people who made the move to the new Mac Pro. How much more processing power do you have available in real life situation? 2 times, 3 times, 5 times? Do you have a lot of headroom at 96k?

How the new mac pro works with HDX, for those of you who have HDX? Is it as stable as the old mac pros?

How is Pro Tools running on Catalina? Any problems? Any plugin that are not compatible?

I've read the long Mac Pro thread here and it has a lot of great information, but i would like to have more feedback from users about mixing and working experience with the new Mac Pro.

And anything to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Luc

What kind of price are you paying because I've received some low quotes.......send private.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleiweke View Post
My old Mac Pro had 12 as well. I had upgraded it processors to 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon. It was a great computer but it was limping along and was showing its age for sure.
Ok thanks!

Certainly faster than my 2010 2x 2.4 quad core then...
Old 10-07-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
What kind of price are you paying because I've received some low quotes.......send private.
Message sent.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2020, 03:52 AM

7.1 16 core with PT Ultimate 2020.9.1/HDX here. Super happy. I’ve not had a single crash this week. Slight issue with NI Massive X causing a beachball for a minute when a session with it instantiated is opened but other than that, it’s smooth as butter. It’s a major performance increase over my old 12 core Trashcan using VIs.

Yes it’s expensive but the cost per year over it’s lifespan is not unreasonable. 12 core Trashcans are really holding their value, at least here in Europe so that offsets a healthy chunk of the cost.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
7.1 16 core with PT Ultimate 2020.9.1/HDX here. Super happy. I’ve not had a single crash this week. Slight issue with NI Massive X causing a beachball for a minute when a session with it instantiated is opened but other than that, it’s smooth as butter. It’s a major performance increase over my old 12 core Trashcan using VIs.

Yes it’s expensive but the cost per year over it’s lifespan is not unreasonable. 12 core Trashcans are really holding their value, at least here in Europe so that offsets a healthy chunk of the cost.

Nice to hear that Dave. Thanks!
I will know for myself soon, as i ordered a 16 core last week.
I'm crossing my fingers that it will arrive home with Catalina, not with Big Sur! If it arrives with Big sur, i think i will have to send it back and wait another 6 monts.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Nice to hear that Dave. Thanks!
I will know for myself soon, as i ordered a 16 core last week.
I'm crossing my fingers that it will arrive home with Catalina, not with Big Sur! If it arrives with Big sur, i think i will have to send it back and wait another 6 monts.
Don’t be too hasty to send it back! You may well be able to do a System Restore (clean install) of Catalina in Mac OS Recovery Mode even if it comes with Big Sur. See here:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

Obviously check with Apple but the Shift-Option-⌘-R Recovery option may do a clean install of Catalina.