Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2002, 04:16 PM

Default Anyone switch from Serial Midi to USB Midi ??

did anyone make the switch from Serial Midi to USB Midi?

Is it worth it or should i stick with Serial Midi (Stealth Port)?

If it is worth the switch... what does everyone recommend ? i want a easy to use, plug and play, usb midi rack mounted unit that works easily with pro tools.... im thinking of geting the opcode MIDIport 96

http://www.opcode.com/products/midiport96/

any thoughts ?

Thanks In Advance
Old 05-29-2002, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Anyone switch from Serial Midi to USB Midi ??

If you are considering going USB, why not wait for the Digidesign MIDI I/O? It will support Time-Stamping in a future version of Pro Tools and will therefore offer tighter MIDI timing than any other MIDI interface when used with Pro Tools.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Anyone switch from Serial Midi to USB Midi ??

Yeah, I switched about 2-3 years ago (one of the early adopters). There were a couple of issues with the first drivers, but it's pretty stable on a Mac now (don't know about PCs).

Like lagasus, I would also suggest holding out for another month or so for Digi's DTS interface if you mainly use PT. Otherwise, Logic has AMT and their own interface as do MOTU and Steinberg.

BTW, there is a good article this month in Keyboard Magazine about Midi Time Stamping technologies. Although not particularly geeky, it does provide a good overview.

So where the heck is the Midi Manufacturers' Association when you need them to corral all these guys for a SINGLE standard?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.