Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
lifer lifer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Manchester U.K.
Posts: 330
Default McDSP REMOVING plugins from bundle!!!

I was shocked to get a reply from McDSP today when I asked them for clarification regarding an upgrade to their Emerald bundle.

"If you upgrade by March 31, you will also get a free Channel G Surround license so that you do not lose the surround you are used to. We are offering the free license for a limited time, so please upgrade your Emerald Pack right away."

It turns out that if i don't want to lose the Channel G Surround plugin I already own i have to upgrade to their new Emerald Pack 4 by the 31st March!!
It seems they have made the Channel G Surround plugin a separate plugin and are going to penalise their loyal customers by making them pay to own something they already paid for.
It has always been part of the Channel G bundle so I don't see how they can exclude it in the future? Surely if they advertised it as being included when you bought it, it should remain available to you?
I have complained to them about this. It seems an extremely stupid policy to me. All it does is stop me from ever upgrading! I feel it might be time to look elsewhere for plugins in the future if they are going to pull stunts like this. FFS

Mr Massey..thank God for you!
People be warned!!!!!
__________________
Win 7 Pro 64
PT 10 HD, HD4 Accel
Jetway JNAF92-Q67
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM
HassanDavis HassanDavis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 52
Default Re: McDSP REMOVING plugins from bundle!!!

You lose just the upgrade path for the plugin no? You should not be losing the license to the version(s) you already own.

Hassan
__________________
Pro Tools 10.0.1 / OS X 10.7.3 / Mac Pro Quad, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB Seagate Audio Drive / Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM
lifer lifer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Manchester U.K.
Posts: 330
Default Re: McDSP REMOVING plugins from bundle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanDavis View Post
You lose just the upgrade path for the plugin no? You should not be losing the license to the version(s) you already own.

Hassan
No i shouldn't should I?! Sadly the licence is tied as one "Channel G HD XP" as part of my Emerald HD bundle. So if they change what is installed or authorised within that package what can I do about it except complain and warn everyone here? :)
Im not happy about it..i did ask for clarification from McDSP before i posted here. I hope they change their minds about this one. It will affect a lot of people I'm sure (with Snow Leopard/Vista/Windows 7 upgrades around the corner)
__________________
Win 7 Pro 64
PT 10 HD, HD4 Accel
Jetway JNAF92-Q67
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
25ghosts 25ghosts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 3,333
Default Re: McDSP REMOVING plugins from bundle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
No i shouldn't should I?! Sadly the licence is tied as one "Channel G HD XP" as part of my Emerald HD bundle. So if they change what is installed or authorised within that package what can I do about it except complain and warn everyone here? :)
Im not happy about it..i did ask for clarification from McDSP before i posted here. I hope they change their minds about this one. It will affect a lot of people I'm sure (with Snow Leopard/Vista/Windows 7 upgrades around the corner)
While I have nothing bad to say about McDSP, I have taken a hate trip towards bundles.

You buy an Everything bundle. Which supposedly incl. everything. Then two weeks later they release something new and make a new bundle called everything two. Waves have with mercury, however been stand up like an oak. Aside from waves, I am done with bundles.
__________________
2016 MacBook Pro Retina | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | OS X Latest - PTHD 12 Latest | 4K LG Thunderbolt Display | Logic Pro 10
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM
lifer lifer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Manchester U.K.
Posts: 330
Default Re: McDSP REMOVING plugins from bundle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
While I have nothing bad to say about McDSP, I have taken a hate trip towards bundles.

You buy an Everything bundle. Which supposedly incl. everything. Then two weeks later they release something new and make a new bundle called everything two. Waves have with mercury, however been stand up like an oak. Aside from waves, I am done with bundles.
This is my first experience of this and I'm heading towards the same way of thinking. When i bought the bundle i did think i would get "everything" but they did bring out an Everything bundle 2 about a month later.
I don't have a problem paying for the new stuff though, that's fair enough...but taking stuff AWAY?! Come on..how is that a way to treat your premium customers?
Ironically McDSP seem to be taking a leaf out of Waves' books just as Waves' are starting to listen to their customers complaints!
Bad move Colin.
__________________
Win 7 Pro 64
PT 10 HD, HD4 Accel
Jetway JNAF92-Q67
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 AM
25ghosts 25ghosts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 3,333
Default Re: McDSP REMOVING plugins from bundle!!!

I think we should wait a few days and see what happens. I know Colin, as I beta test for him, and I have found him to be very fair and reasonable over the years with his products, so maybe this thing going on is a mistake.
__________________
2016 MacBook Pro Retina | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD | OS X Latest - PTHD 12 Latest | 4K LG Thunderbolt Display | Logic Pro 10
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM
lifer lifer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Manchester U.K.
Posts: 330
Default Re: McDSP REMOVING plugins from bundle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I think we should wait a few days and see what happens. I know Colin, as I beta test for him, and I have found him to be very fair and reasonable over the years with his products, so maybe this thing going on is a mistake.
That's why i'm surprised by all this and why I originally bought a McDSP bundle and not a Waves one. I dearly hope this mess gets back tracked asap.
__________________
Win 7 Pro 64
PT 10 HD, HD4 Accel
Jetway JNAF92-Q67
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading McDSP Project Bundle to Emerald Pack The Dougfather 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 06-08-2009 07:32 AM
McDSP Project Bundle Playing up in PT8 The Dougfather 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 02-17-2009 09:29 AM
McDSP Emerald Bundle is Finally Here :-) 25ghosts Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 9 05-09-2008 12:33 PM
New McDSP RTAS Bundle - Project Studio bigbubbaj 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 12 09-28-2005 12:04 AM
Plugins Folder? ( removing plugins ) test tube AUDIO 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 3 09-26-2005 01:48 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com