Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-10-2001, 10:27 AM

Default Running out of CPU power

Agghhhh!!!

Any more than about six plug-ins and I begin to run out of CPU power. My current setting is allocated 85% of the CPU power to Pro Tools. Is there any way to be able to use more plugins simultaneously. After all 24 tracks, add a few compressors, a gate and a reverb and the whole thing begins to cease up. It seems a bit limited! Any help greatly recieved.

thanks.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Running out of CPU power

What is your system?
Some plugs are more cpu intensives than others. You could use mono reverb instead of stereo too.

sdf

sugarhillstudios.com
Old 08-10-2001, 11:14 AM

Try this: Destructively effect (Audiosuite) each track using "save as" as you go so that you can revert to old session if you ending changing your mind about reverb, comp, whatever. Also, use Aux sends for multiple occurences of one effect.

Andy O.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:32 AM

Using multiple playlists is also a solution to be considered when applying Audiosuite fx. Duplicate the playlist (or track if you prefer to call it that) to be effected and then Audiosuite.

Using save as... is a little bad if you make lots of edits and everything and then decide you don't like some audiosuited stuff. Of course the processing is in any case non-destructive but dragging and syncing the original files into their correct places can be a mess...

Z
Old 08-10-2001, 02:30 PM

I wouldnt use mono reverbs. sounds like ********
especially Dverb. stereo reverb on snare is an absolute necesity. feed mono snare to stereo
Old 08-10-2001, 02:56 PM

We still don't know your system config...a G3/266 won't get very many plugins, for instance. Even my G4/400 doesn't get all that many on a 24-track 24-bit mix.

Just a bit OT....Actually, I've found that using mono reverb on some tracks really helps clean them up and give each instrument it's own space with better definition in a dense track. IMHO, using stereo reverb on everything is as messy as using all stereo sounds: it ends up as WIDE MONO.

However, I always use a stereo reverb on the snare [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]!

Using SOME reverbs in mono will definitely save you some CPU power. Also, try using a short or medium delay instead of reverb, it also takes a little less CPU power.

Use Audiosuite a LOT...

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 08-10-2001, 11:48 PM

Wow, I check back after one day and I have all these replies. You guys are fantastic!
I have one of the first Blue and white G3's, @300MHz. Obiously this is going to affect things. It looks like I'm going to have to be more sparing with the ffects I use.
I use the Aux method for reverbs and certain delays seem to work.
It would be nice not to have to process individual effects with audiosuite, it makes mixing such a chore. Process, mix, process, undo, mix, process etc. Oh well until I can afford the TDM system!!!
Out of interest does anyone know if Mix Farms work with 001

Many thanks
Old 08-11-2001, 01:10 PM

No, no TDM hardware works with the Digi001. But if you feel cheated, you anyway can run PT LE on the Mix system when you've upgraded into it! LOL

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Z