Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

Default New 8.1 I/O setup??????

If it isn't one thing it is another. I did a bounce and only the vocals were bounced, but I could hear the full mix. It also put all my renamed busses to the bottom. The new assign set up is weird. It looks like I have some reading to do.
I did figure out how to get the full mix. But I am still a little confused.
Does anyone know why they changed it? Besides the new I/0's coming out.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 PM

Default Re: New 8.1 I/O setup??????

I believe the main reason they changed it was to make taking a session from one studio to another easier. Every time you would have a client bringing in something from another studio that used another I/O setup one issue you would run into when loading your I/O setup into the session is you could lose internal bussing, and pans and automation if you erased the Bussing/inputs/outputs that didn't apply to your studio setup. This new I/O page seems to have addressed that, but I think it will take some getting used to the way it works now.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM

I've been asking for something like this your years.
It should help me drastically moving sessions from editing rooms to Dub Stage with trips to Foley and ADR along the way

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I've been asking for something like this your years.
It should help me drastically moving sessions from editing rooms to Dub Stage with trips to Foley and ADR along the way
My issue is when you import tracks from another session. It also will have like 3 bus 11-12 for example
Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolla80 View Post
I believe the main reason they changed it was to make taking a session from one studio to another easier. Every time you would have a client bringing in something from another studio that used another I/O setup one issue you would run into when loading your I/O setup into the session is you could lose internal bussing, and pans and automation if you erased the Bussing/inputs/outputs that didn't apply to your studio setup. This new I/O page seems to have addressed that, but I think it will take some getting used to the way it works now.
I just don't see how it is better... I have never had busses disappear or lost.
Why would the new setup deactivate busses and outputs? I am using my same setup? Sorry but it scarred me when I bounced a song. I could heard the whole mix while bouncing but it only bounced the Vocals
Old 08-28-2010, 02:35 PM

Why would we expect them to get anything right?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
Sorry but it scarred me when I bounced a song. I could heard the whole mix while bouncing but it only bounced the Vocals
hmmm.. I like the new features in I/O.... will make life easier. But your issue in BTD is worrisome. all the more reason to use RTD.. ff
Old 08-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator

I'm not a tech, so I can't address the BTD issue described, but for anyone on this thread that does want more information on the new 8.1 I/O setup, here are a couple of links.

From the I/O Setup Primer on the HD 8.1 download pages:
Quote:
Changes to I/O Setup in Pro Tools HD 8.1
In Pro Tools 8.1, changes to the I/O Setup have been made in order to solve session interchange issues (such as maintaining studio settings on different Pro Tools systems) and to provide better overall workflows for session interchange. In lower versions of Pro Tools, I/O settings are recalled from the Pro Tools session document, so studio settings corresponding to your hardware could potentially change each time a session is opened. This can result in a temporary loss of monitor paths. In Pro Tools 8.1, I/O settings can be recalled from the system. This means that your studio settings can be maintained when opening sessions created on other Pro Tools systems.
For more information, see the following:

I/O Setup Primer v8.1 (PDF)

Pro Tools Session Compatibility and Interchange (Kbase article)

The Knowledge Base article has information about maintaining backwards compatibility:
Quote:
Pro Tools 8.1 includes a completely revamped I/O Setup feature that may cause session compatibility issues if some of the new feature functionality is used.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

Thanks. Some good bedtime reading
Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post

Pro Tools Session Compatibility and Interchange (Kbase article)

The Knowledge Base article has information about maintaining backwards compatibility:
Hi,

The link is whack! too many http httphttp?

here it is..

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=353093

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.