Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Default No Audio Output or Recording Input from MBox 2 PRO

I just installed PT 7.1.2 into my DELL Laptop (Latitude D630) and hooked it up to my MBox 2 PRO. I can open sessions and create new sessions, but there is no audio playback/output and I can't seem to record anything. I went into the I/O and set everything to default - and I also tried deleting all the paths and setting it as default.

I'm using a Monster firewire cable that goes from the MB2Pro to my laptop's 1394 port (6 pin to 4 pin). I'm also using an external power source to power the MB2Pro.

Help!! Please provide me a list of different suggestions I could try! Thanks!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Re: No Audio Output or Recording Input from MBox 2 PRO

I am having the same problem on an Asus F8Sv laptop. After talking with support, we think my problem is with the FireWire card. Under the Devise Manager it is listed as a RICOH (chip manufacturer) which is not completey compatible. I was able to check out my mbox on my desktop to verify that the hardware works, and it does. you can also check out the thru put by pluging in a mic or guitar etc into the line 1 input on the back and speaker or headphone in the monitor jack in the front (KEEP volumes low as it may be loud) and you should be able to hear the mic through the headphones. this will verify that the I/O is working.

I am going to try a new firewire card to see if that fixes teh problem. They said they have had the best luck with texas instrument chipsets and the following PCI Express card in qualified with the Mac Boob Pros and is croos platform compatible. I can let you know my findings once I have ordered it on line and have it installed.

Digidesign-Qualified FireWire/1394 HBA Cards for Mac OS X
http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...5&itemid=23112

The manufacturer's page
http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-EC2012-S1
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM

Thanks! That's really helpful. I looked under my device manager and my 1394 card is a "
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". Do you know anything about those?

Please let me know how the new firewire card works out for ya. Are there anything other things I can check out in the meanwhile?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

is the generic WIN driver for the firewire card. to find the manufacturer you can run PC WIZARD 2008 which you can download in digidesigns support utilities here
http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?lang...4&itemid=25974

oce you install the wizard and open it up it will scan your computer for all of your specs. Somewhere you should find the firewire bus (mine was on the first screen, click on the second icon (looks like a computer mid tower). The device was listed by model number which I then did a google search to find manufacturer.

In trouble shooting I systematically disabled devices in the devise manager that I did not need to operate the computer and pro tools to make sure there was not any conflicts starting with the most common devices that have gven me problems in the past (networking and sound) - wifi cards, ethernet cards, soundcards (not all of the codec and legacy stuff listed in the sound, video and game controller heading, Just the sound card itself, if you have one listed, mine was a Realtek AC'97 controller), and all the blutooth stuff. I then went on to other miso stuff just to see, like the fingerprint reader, web camera, etc.

I will look local this weekend for the express card but if I do not find the SIIG model specified earlier I am going to order one. Being able to buy, try, and return the cards is probably better/cheaper but I am tired of messing with this over the last week. should know more in 10 days or so once I recieve the card. Will let you know the results if you can wait.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 AM

any luck yet with the new Firewire card? =)