Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 PM

Default slowed distorted playback???

i have completed a full song(drums,guitars,bass, vocals everything) and i am mixing and mastering at this point. now after awhile when i start to playback parts of the song, it all of a sudden slows down and plays very distorted. i will exit the session go back in and after awhile the same thing keeps happening and it makes to hard for me to keep mixing. i dont know what the problem is. anybody have any ideas of what i should try to do to make it stop.. p.s. i dont think it has anything to do with my computer its self cause its pretty fast and doesnt have much on it, i think its something within the pro tools.....suggestions please!!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Re: slowed distorted playback???

Slow playback could be caused by a faulty clock.

Sudden, distorted playback has been known to be caused by underpowered and unsupported CPUs, but since you didn't post any info about your computer, nobody can say for sure.

Both symptoms could be caused by your computer, and you should post the details about it so we can eliminate it as a suspect and move on.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Dell XPS 400

2.80GHz 2.79GHz
1.50GB of RAM

if not the computer, i didnt use master faders in the session, because i couldnt get the song to Cd standard level without the master clipping so i just used aux inputs and bussed the drums and guitar to that. do you think its because everything is too loud? also do you know how to get a wav file loud enough for a CD without clipping?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
do you think its because everything is too loud?
Could be, yes.
Quote:
also do you know how to get a wav file loud enough for a CD without clipping?
It's called "Mastering". Mixing it properly has a lot to do with it as well, but...

Mastering is an art and a science all to itself. It is usually recommended not to self master your work. If you feel it is necessary to master it yourself, you can use a number of tools, such as Izotope Ozone 3, or better yet, use some of the tools available in CD Architect. You really should study at least he basics of mastering to get started, though.

This should get you started.

One thing I would like to point out is that the current "trend" of mastering a CD as loud as it possibly can go and stripping it of all dynamic content seems to be on it's way out (thankfully). Music should not be produced or mastered to be "just like other CDs", it should be produced and mastered so that it sounds good.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-15-2007, 06:09 PM

CD architect is something that ive been thinkin about getting for awhile now. i dont know much about it but i was wondering if it can increase the volume of a already made wav. file from a pro tools session. basically allowing me to control the volume after i finish mixing it in pro tools. do you know if it can do that among other things?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM

Short answer: No, and it doesn't really even matter, mastering is a bit more complicated than turning just volume up. I also recommend you to check out that link and read few articles about mastering.

Don't bother trying to make it as loud as CD usually is if you don't know what you are doing, you can always turn volume knob from your stereo

Edit:
Try to mix your drums somewhere near -6 / -7 db and you should end up with with pretty decent volume with your mix.