Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
GNA

Default How to Record Software Synthesizer

My apologies for an uninformed question, because I'm sure there is a simple answer, but I'm trying to find out how to record a software synthesizer. Specifically I'm doing a demo of Native Instruments FM8, but apparently this software synthesizer is unable to send MIDI. It can only receive MIDI.

So I'm able to play all the instruments and use the arpeggiator when I have an instance of FM8 running on an instrument track in Pro Tools. I hear sound while using FM8 as an instrument plug-in during my Pro Tools session, but once I try to record, I hear nothing. Of course, it records some kind of MIDI data, because later it will play the appropriate sounds on playback, but I can hear nothing while trying to record.

I've read that I'm supposed to use this software synth as a standalone in order to record, but I fail to see the connection between launching it in standalone mode and being able to record in Pro Tools.

I have used many other virtual instruments with Pro Tools, but this is the first time I've encountered this limitation. I've searched for video tutorials and I've tried the software developer's forums, but I can't find an explanation on how to record the sounds, effects, and arpeggiator results that I hear when I run this software synth on its own.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:22 PM

Default Re: How to Record Software Synthesizer

You can record "Standalone Software Synth" by capturing Core Audio streams (at least on Mac) into DAW (like Reaper). Special software can be used for it like "Jack" (at least on Mac).
But Pro Tools does not support this method... Don't waste you time...
Why not to plug in MIDI keyboard, create RTAS instrument instance, record MIDI and automation and thats it...
m1active 520 & sub gw s750, deq230, cx2310
Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
GNA

I've done the first few things you've mentioned, but I'm not so familiar with what you're suggesting in terms of recording MIDI and automation. Normally with all other RTAS instruments, I just create the instances and record. Do you mind letting me know what I would do differently to record MIDI and automation? Will that allow me to hear what I'm recording as the software synth plays it?

Thanks for responding.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA View Post
Do you mind letting me know what I would do differently to record MIDI and automation? Will that allow me to hear what I'm recording as the software synth plays it?.
MIDI recording (MIDI notes and MIDI CC) even much easy rather than record Audio.
Most of RTAS instruments have MIDI learn functionality, so you can use faders and knobs on MIDI controller to record MIDI automation or drag plugin controls (it will generate plugin automation different to MIDI CC automation).
To hear the sound while recording you need to enable "MIDI Thru" option (Menu -> Options -> MIDI Thru").
m1active 520 & sub gw s750, deq230, cx2310