Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 AM

Default Returning To The 11R And Possible Hook Up Scenarios

I bought my 11R at release and used it in conjunction with my 003R until about 2 years ago when I bought a Kemper.
The 003R was always the main interface and the 11R was spdif'di in (Thanks again to Benoni for that tutorial vid).
I donated my 11R to a friend in a more or less "pay it forward" gesture.
My recording computer has died and Im rebuilding from the ground up so considering all kinds of options and scenarios....my fond memories of my 11R came back.
I won't be pursuing Firewire in the new setup so the 003R will be retired.The simplicity of the 11R and the tones for me as a guitar player primarily have me wondering if I can build a system around it.
My flow is this....
I don't use amps at home and conversely don't use modellers at gigs.
I need to be able to record guitars (11R/Kemper) and mic vocals and acoustics.
I need to permanently pipe in my iTunes/Apple music as my system is both my recording system and just jamming system.
In the 003R I had enough inputs to leave everything connected for instant access.
Looking at the 11R I'm hoping to do the same.
I want to connect the Kemper (preferably not spdif as it's 44.1)
I want to connect my streaming music in full stereo.
I want a minimum of 1 mic input.

The mic inpiut is obviously there already.
If I connect the Kemper to the line inputs (as I did on the 003R) I'm good with that.
It's getting the streaming music in?
I'm looking at the effects loop return as a possible and just futz around balancing that and placing the effects loop appropriately.
I'm also wondering if bringing something like an Octopre in spdif would act like a wee patch bay for the streaming stuff while offering maybe a better pre for recording.
Just running the whole 11R idea through the ringer....there is one currently sitting at my local retailer.I really liked the box when I had it but never used it as my main interface.
Any opinions on routing my slightly unorthodox setup would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Returning To The 11R And Possible Hook Up Scenarios

I have two 11Rs and like that on a Mac it is easy to switch back and forth between the system sounds/Itunes and recording DAW.

You might mention what computer you will be using. There are some nice Thunderbolt interfaces floating around with built in mic pres, effects loops, ADAT, wordclock, and dual headphone jacks that do not cost much more than the 11R. Either the Apogee Element and Focusrite Clarett series are affordable ways to get combo interface/mic pres, and the Clarett also has MIDI I/O as well as both software and hardware meters.

Depending on which MacBook Pro, or which PC, there are lots of options.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Returning To The 11R And Possible Hook Up Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
I have two 11Rs and like that on a Mac it is easy to switch back and forth between the system sounds/Itunes and recording DAW.

You might mention what computer you will be using. There are some nice Thunderbolt interfaces floating around with built in mic pres, effects loops, ADAT, wordclock, and dual headphone jacks that do not cost much more than the 11R. Either the Apogee Element and Focusrite Clarett series are affordable ways to get combo interface/mic pres, and the Clarett also has MIDI I/O as well as both software and hardware meters.

Depending on which MacBook Pro, or which PC, there are lots of options.
Sorry....I'm PC here.
I have other interfaces but just thought getting back to a 11R would be very...efficient.
I have a Steinberg UR824 as well but really like the comparability with Avid hardware even given the compromises with a few of the limitations the 11R has.
The 11R is a pretty "all encompassing" piece of gear...a poor mans Apollo in a few ways...it was ahead of its time.Always been a fan.