Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Default S-3 vs Slate MTI2

I just saw the announcement it's late just came out with the new MTI2, now they sell for only 999 bucks. I've never used any of the slate controllers, but I do find it compelling, that just for $1000, you can get such a heavily featured latent controller product. I'm just curious what you guys think about that, versus using something like an S-3?

Everything I've read, people who use the Raven products, for the most part, simply love them. Maybe I'm just old school, but I do love the idea of touching a physical fader. I guess I'm just torn. What do you guys think?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM

Default Re: S-3 vs Slate MTI2

I am in a similar boat here. I actually have already purchased and installed Dtouch software from deviltechnologies.com, but have had to return 2 bad touchscreens. Still plan on getting another(different brand though) which puts it even cheaper than the new Slate(which I still can't tell if it works on a Windows machine, which Dtouch does) For sure, they will sell a lot more MTi's at that price. After watching several videos on the S3, I am still very intrigued by it, but wish the price was more in line with Artist pricing(kinda feel it should retail at $3500) and the AVB interface only works on Mac at this point in time

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-04-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I just saw the announcement it's late just came out with the new MTI2, now they sell for only 999 bucks. I've never used any of the slate controllers, but I do find it compelling, that just for $1000, you can get such a heavily featured latent controller product. I'm just curious what you guys think about that, versus using something like an S-3?

Everything I've read, people who use the Raven products, for the most part, simply love them. Maybe I'm just old school, but I do love the idea of touching a physical fader. I guess I'm just torn. What do you guys think?
Barry,
Here's an exercise for you. Do you have a remote for your tv? It's a piece of hardware with 3 dimensional buttons right? Now, try downloading and using the virtual version on your phone.

It's the difference between this:

And this:

Try it and see what you think.

I'm serious BTW.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 PM

A client of mine has an MTI. It's great for editing the new breed of plugins with those non-traditional gui's as well as vi's.

However, being somewhat of an old-school type myself I suppose, I prefer a controller with physical faders and knobs. Ideally with a dedicated eq and dynamics sections...

Darryl Ramm
Old 10-04-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
.....the new Slate(which I still can't tell if it works on a Windows machine, which Dtouch does)....

Video said it was supposed to be shipping PC versions by the time the product was on the market

FYI
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Yup. It'll be 'coming soon'. Nothing to be concerned about.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Default S-3 vs Slate MTI2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
Yup. It'll be 'coming soon'. Nothing to be concerned about.

Haha yeah now that you mention it....

And I was not impressed with the raven when I sat down with one....in humid south central Texas the finger doesn't slide quite so easy

I will take an S3
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Barry,
Here's an exercise for you. Do you have a remote for your tv? It's a piece of hardware with 3 dimensional buttons right? Now, try downloading and using the virtual version on your phone.

It's the difference between this:

And this:

Try it and see what you think.

I'm serious BTW.
Drew, help me, I'm not following you.

If I'm guessing, I think what you're trying to say, is with the remote, you really don't have to even look at it, it's kind of intuitive, you know exactly where to touch. Where is having it on a touchscreen, you have to stop and look down to figure out where you're at. Is that where you're going? If so, I get it.

Am I close?

On a separate note, I've done a lot of reading about this, and for those who actually use them day in and day out, they really swear by it. I've actually had no problem using my iPad to control faders, as well as other things that are controllable within the iPad versions. My only problem that's far, is the fact that the iPad screen is pretty small.

If there's one thing that I know for sure, for me, I can simply never imagine not using a control surface. I find that using one helps my productivity immensely.

You did vantage for using something like the Raven, is the fact that technology is only going to drive the prices down even further as we go forward. Where is it seems the prices of control surfaces, that are hardware-based, seem to be doing nothing but going up and up.

To me the S3 is way overpriced, when you look at the materials are actually in it. It really should be half the price.

I really don't know why I stress so much about my attempting to stay current. Everything I have in my studio works perfectly fine today, as it has for years now. I honestly don't know why I concern myself with it so much.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-04-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Drew, help me, I'm not following you.

If I'm guessing, I think what you're trying to say, is with the remote, you really don't have to even look at it, it's kind of intuitive, you know exactly where to touch. Where is having it on a touchscreen, you have to stop and look down to figure out where you're at. Is that where you're going? If so, I get it.

Am I close?
Yes sir!! You got it.

Your arm weight is about 6% of your total body weight. Imagine holding that out in front of you for 10 hours. Try it.

Better yet, get a Raven from your dealer so that you can return it if needed. I wouldn't put too much into people that are trying to justify their most recent expenditure.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Yes sir!! You got it.

Your arm weight is about 6% of your total body weight.
Have you seen the size of my guns! My arms are at least 6.25% of my bodyweight!