Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2003, 08:19 AM

Default 2nd monitor on QS 733

Does anyone uses a QS 733 and worked out how to display a second monitor on the buit-in video card (GeForce2 MX) ?
when using an adaptor ADC->VGA i only seem to mirror the 1st screen into the other.
control strip just disapear !!!
if anyone has the same confi. please let me know.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Re: 2nd monitor on QS 733

I had to add a second monitor using another video card (PCI). It conflicts with PT's on occasion, unless I am paying attention to what I am doing.

There have been several recent threads about this if you want to do a search.

Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:25 PM

I'll second Jean's comment. I've got a 733 Graphite with the Geforce 2 mx. After looking at the geforce 3 and 4Ti ( which have added fans!!!) which will do extended desktop on your AGP slot, I went with a cheap old ATI rage 128 VR that a friend had lying around. Despite worries about ATI drivers not playing nice with my superdrive (one rumour I heard) and the extra PCI card adding load to my PCI bus (I'm also running DIGI 001) , neither of these potential problems have manifested themselves. I'm running OS 9.2.2, 768 K ram. with Protools LE 5.2.1 32trk beta. And I sometimes do evil things like burn CD's while recording to protools while listening to itunes while surfing the net so it seems that things are pretty stable.

Hey Jean, what PCI card did you put on and what do you have to be careful about to avoid conflicts?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:57 AM

I put in a ATI Radeon 32mbDDR PCI version. It works great except when I am recording a few tracks (8 or so) and I zoom in and out on my edit window (the one the PCI card is running) really fast I get the dreaded "PCI bus is too busy error". By moving my cards around and being careful when tracking I haven't seen this error come up in a while. It is there though, and it's something worth noting to others thinking of going the same route so they don't lose anything important....of course that would only happen while tracking not anything else. Which is why it's not that big of a deal to me, I just be careful when tracking.

Peace.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:47 PM

The geforce2 MX that came in your computer is the 32 meg version, and it will ONLY support mirroring. The only geforce2 that did the extended desktop thing was the "twinview" model, which came in some of the higher speed quicksilvers (first generation) and then disappeared.
The geforce3 WILL NOT support extended desktop (other than that, it kicks ass). The new geforce4 MX that Apple is using is basically a repackaged geforce2, and it will do the trick. So will the geforce4 Titanium that they sell on the website, but it might be overkill if all you want is more screen real estate. Plus, its so powerful, that it has a fan on it, which means more noise.
I have the same computer that you do, and I went with the ATI Radeon 9000 Mac edition. It does the dual display thing flawlessly, and its cool for gaming if you do that too. It's specs are comparable to the geforce4 MX (64meg).
I chose this card because I have an Apple flat panel, and I needed the ADC connector for it. The only (and I mean the ONLY) two retail cards out there with the ADC are the Geforce4 Ti, and the Radeon 9000. You might be able to get a newer geforce4 MX from Apple, but you'll pay though the nose for it. The Radeon was a lot cheaper than the Ti, and it works great (so far) with pro tools, Reason 2.0, etc.
Be Warned: If you go looking for a geforce4 MX on Ebay (like I did, at first), make sure that you buy the 64meg version that they are using now. A lot of people are selling the weird 32 meg version that Apple originally put in the MDD 867. And these cards will not work on your machine.
Hope this helps...
-Cheers
crack smokin hooker
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey