How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Default firewire and connection issues

Hi,
I'm new to Pro Tools and also bought the Tascam DM-4800 mixer.
I'm having a lot of issues trying to buss back & forth to PT from the board via firewire. I'm running PT-10 on a custom made PC. The PC came with a Rosewill PCIe 1394b Card 3 Ports Model RC-506E. Does anyone know if this card is the reason I'm having issues?
Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Re: firewire and connection issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel90 View Post
Hi,
I'm new to Pro Tools and also bought the Tascam DM-4800 mixer.
I'm having a lot of issues trying to buss back & forth to PT from the board via firewire. I'm running PT-10 on a custom made PC. The PC came with a Rosewill PCIe 1394b Card 3 Ports Model RC-506E. Does anyone know if this card is the reason I'm having issues?
Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
That PCIe card a TI chipset firewire card so hopefully should be OK.

What *exact* problems are you having? What do you mean by "busing back and forth"--what exactly are you trying to do? Is the mixer working at all a Firewire interface for Pro Tools?

Darryl
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 PM

I want to use Pro Tools like a tape recorder and mix via my DM-4800. For some reason my board won't route channels into PT. i.e. If I want to buss channel 1 from the board to track 8 on pro tools, it's not happening. Also I'm not seeing the time code on my board. Lastly, PT is only sending L/R to channels 25 & 26 on my board. I want each track to be sent to individual channels on my board. Not sure if that's an I/O problem or if firewire is screwing up.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel90 View Post
I want to use Pro Tools like a tape recorder and mix via my DM-4800. For some reason my board won't route channels into PT. i.e. If I want to buss channel 1 from the board to track 8 on pro tools, it's not happening. Also I'm not seeing the time code on my board. Lastly, PT is only sending L/R to channels 25 & 26 on my board. I want each track to be sent to individual channels on my board. Not sure if that's an I/O problem or if firewire is screwing up.
The Firewire won't be "screwing up", it will either work or it won't.

There is a significant amount of configuration/setup involve to get all this working, and my assumption would be if there is a problem its likely something you are doing there. What setup instructions are you following? Tascam documentation is at http://tascam.com/product/dm-4800/downloads/ also I noticed this http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...t9-and-higher/

Seeing time code on the mixer meter bridge? I'm not even sure that is connected as a part of HUI to Pro Tools? Anybody know if it is? I believe the meters themselves are not, they are just plumbed to the physical outputs IIRC. Hopefully somebody with a 3200 or 4800 here will know for sure.

I suspect you may also want to ask your questions over on the DM-4800 forum at http://www.tascamforums.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Darryl