Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2019, 05:49 AM

Default Re: stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Time to bump the "stem vs multitrack" thread. Anyone know where it is?
Here it is

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ht=Stem+Mixing

Good idea to bump that thread!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 AM

I'm old......YOU KIDS GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
No one is gonna share the stems of popular songs on the web as that is copyright material and not for newbees to play with.

Search on the web for stem sessions and I know steven slate has some courses online with stems to download but thats gonna cost ~$100 per session and there are some competitions that offer stems for mixing but none of those are for publishing, just for the specific purpose of the stems.

Why do you want these? Why not start with making your own music if you are new to this? Messing around with other peoples work wont take you anywhere.
I don't actually want to use the stems for anything. i just wanted to make my own drums for example and then listen to the drums of the track by itself and compare it by ear. So I can improve.

I have listened to some more unprofessional sounding instruments and well it sounds.. unprofessional. it just doesnt have the same nice sound as popular music does.

anyway. well, i understand why its illegal. people dont really use it to learn... people suck.. which is why you assumed i was going to actually use the sounds for myself, which is sad but pretty accurate what most people would do. i just wanted to learn better. but its fine. ill figure it out
Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 AM

It's a nice exercise, there are plenty of isolated tracks usually grouped in stems of famous songs on YouTube. Keep in mind that mixes are done in context and what sounds great together with the rest of the instrumentation will probably sound very different and often awful in isolation.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lue View Post
I don't actually want to use the stems for anything. i just wanted to make my own drums for example and then listen to the drums of the track by itself and compare it by ear. So I can improve.

I have listened to some more unprofessional sounding instruments and well it sounds.. unprofessional. it just doesnt have the same nice sound as popular music does.

anyway. well, i understand why its illegal. people dont really use it to learn... people suck.. which is why you assumed i was going to actually use the sounds for myself, which is sad but pretty accurate what most people would do. i just wanted to learn better. but its fine. ill figure it out

I understand exactly what you're looking for. You want some good tracks to practice with. Here's a website that provides just that.

Also, PureMix often offers free multi-track downloads for their mixing contests.

SKIO Music website offers a wide range of music styles for downloading stems for remixes. Some are free, some you have to buy (but they're cheap).

There are a few other sites like these as well where you can get legal tracks to download for mixing or re-mixing to hone your skills. Good luck.