Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 06-17-2019, 06:51 AM

Default Visual and functional overhaul?

Hi guys,

I started using this app when it was still part of the Euphonix Artist control surface.
It worked great then, although the touch screen wasn't as responsive as the ipad.

So it was with great excitement that I started using it on that once it was ported.

Generally, it works well, and it is fast! Though both the eucon app on the computer side and the ipad control app are really starting to show their age.

I'm shocked that there's no easy copy/pasting of buttons to another button or other page - a quicker way to assign functionality without having to go through the menu for each button.
Or group selecting a bunch of buttons to at least assign the same category - let's say I wanted to assign a bunch of buttons to shortcut offline processing with plugins, I could at least assign the 'process plugin' to that group, and then go in and individually assign the plugins from that category.

But the ipad app is also in dire need of a visual overhaul - I can't believe that there are actually less customisation options than there were on the Euphonix hardware version - at least there you could set font types and colors, increase the size of the font instead of using this tiny fixed yellow font.

Also, considering the ipad is a high resolution DPI device, the icons look like they were lifted from an 8 bit game.

Here is a screenshot from another now sadly defunct ipad app that tried to do something similar, called Quadro.
It worked fairly well with basic apps, but was rather slow with Nuendo and other audio apps.
The Eucon protocol is clearly superior, so it really deserves a UI to match all that great functionality.

The buttons can be different sizes, and the page buttons have one corner smoothed off, so it's clear what links to another page and what is a regular button. Also note the smooth large fonts and clear and crisp icons:

I hope this is something the developers can take onboard...
Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Visual and functional overhaul?

I'm using a combo of Metagrid on the ipad controlling keyboard maestro for my shortcuts for this very reason.
Metagrid is really easy to re-program and change position size and colour of the buttons etc and KM has crucial options that are missing from PT control, like a 'wait' command for macros and mouse pointer control etc.

The Control app is fantastic for other things though, pan following track selection for instance.
It just needs a bit more work on the shortcut side and the possibility to run 2 different instances on separate ipads would be great too. Then you could have one with shortcuts and the other fader/pan/aux or whatever combination you fancy.
Its still pretty amazing for a free app, I'm not knocking it for a second.
Probably the best single thing Avid has given us in the last several years IMHO!
Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Avid

We may surprise you later this year.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
We may surprise you later this year.
Ooooh...do tell!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM

That sounds exciting...I can't wait.

And apologies if my post came off as naggy...I love the app and it is a great workflow enhancer; it's just that visually, well, you know :)