Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-27-2016, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Advanced Meter Type Settings

I bought the Brainworks bx_meter plugin and downloaded the Massey L2007. Plus I watched like 7 gain staging videos on YouTube. My mixes are already WAY better. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 PM

So I have the dbFS set to -12. Just curious what ya'll have that set to. When u say to adjust the mic gain so it's hitting at -20 would that just be -20 on the fader measurement or are you referring to peak volume? Thanks.

Last edited by adam79; 11-29-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
So I have the dbFS set to -12. Just curious what ya'll have that set to. When u say to adjust the mic gain so it's hitting at -20 would that just be -20 on the fader measurement or are you referring to peak volume? Thanks.
Yes, peak value.

And this is just math; I myself use mainly Focusrite A/D converters that have 124dB dynamics, and knowing that 24bit WAV has 144dB dynamics, it leaves me 20dB headroom. So I can basically track a band without hearing the sound (not ideal, but have done it a couple of times) if I just adjust the levels to hit peaks to -20dBFS

That is a good headroom in case something unexpected happens, and it also gives me plenty of dynamics so the quality isn't compromised in any way. Also good to know that some really fast transients hit higher peaks than the meters can show, so better safe than sorry. If I target -6dBFS it is already too hot and there are surely some transients that clip here and there.

But you need to double-check that you are seeing a pre-fader value. It's a default value, but as it is user-selectable option, you never know if you have set it off. Pre-fader also means pre-plugins, so you see what levels you are actually printing to the WAV file.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM

FWIW -20 = 0 VU. -18 = 0 on an RMS meter. I suggest just peaking to -10 max with the traditional PT metering. Only a few high-end converters can actually run at traditional +4 levels without excessive distortion. If an interface has an output capability lower than +28 or advertises no output spec, it isn't likely to sound very good run at +4.

Unlike an analog console, there is no benefit in avoiding gain changes in the master fader. Since we aren't psychic, level setting is always a guess. One difference between analog and digital is that it's always best to error on the low side in the digital world. I've learned the hard way to never assume floating point plug-ins will operate properly with audio above full sample. It's simpler to just keep the levels low and turn it up at the end.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Old 11-30-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
FWIW -20 = 0 VU. -18 = 0 on an RMS meter.
yes, which is why -20 is the "film standard" and HD interfaces default to -18
Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 AM

They are what the exact same level measures on the different meters.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Old 12-01-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
FWIW -20 = 0 VU. -18 = 0 on an RMS meter. I suggest just peaking to -10 max with the traditional PT metering. Only a few high-end converters can actually run at traditional +4 levels without excessive distortion. If an interface has an output capability lower than +28 or advertises no output spec, it isn't likely to sound very good run at +4.

Unlike an analog console, there is no benefit in avoiding gain changes in the master fader. Since we aren't psychic, level setting is always a guess. One difference between analog and digital is that it's always best to error on the low side in the digital world. I've learned the hard way to never assume floating point plug-ins will operate properly with audio above full sample. It's simpler to just keep the levels low and turn it up at the end.
What's an example of a "floating point plug-in?" Also, How do I set the faders to show Pre-Fader volume? In one of the the gain staging videos I noticed that the OP had the tracks setup to display Peak volume, how do I set that up? It was displayed on each channel, where the volume and pan settings are located. Instead of the volume (vol) measurement it was listed as peak (pk). This seems like a way easier reference point, instead of having to consult the meter plugin every time.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Stay away from L1 at least when master 2-track is concerned. You would want to have a L3LL if you want to buy from Waves.

Massey L2007 is free demo which you can use to learn how to limit. It's biggest downside is you cannot save settings without buying the full version, so each time you load that session you need to dial in parameters from the scratch. Sounds much bigger than its price tag!

Sonnox Limiter is great and has good options. Pricey, but well worth it. Avid Pro Limiter is also worth its price, but hasn't received much praise because it's Avid ;P
The Massey L2007 is working pretty well for me. Should I still consider buying the L3LL? I originally thought that you could only get this in a bundle, but when checking out the L3, it says that the L3LL comes with the purchase of the L3. If the L3LL really works/sounds that much better than the L2007 I'll give it a try...but if they're basically the same thing, I'd rather go with a different plugin. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:56 PM

Any suggestions on a good Waves plugin? I got a $99 store credit coming my way. I was gonna go with the L3 (i guess the L3LL that was recommended on here comes with the L3 purchase). However, the Massey L2007 has been working well for me and I dont wanna waste the credit for something I basically already have. I'm pretty much tapped out on compressors...Id like something for vocals or my drum bus. That Aural Exciter Waves got seems legit. I'm just looking for some suggestions I can demo.

As far as the metering goes, Im gonna reset 'em to -20 dBFS, -18 light green and -10 orange/yellow. I got the -10 dBFS value from some of the gain stagin vids I watched. Just wanna try switch **** up and see what I prefer. Guess I'm gonna have to consult Google to find out about how to set the volume to Pre-Fader and change the individual track volume to peak (pk)...im just sick of having to switch over to the metering plug everytime I want to check out peak volume.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Stay away from L1 at least when master 2-track is concerned. You would want to have a L3LL if you want to buy from Waves.
is also worth its price, but hasn't received much praise because it's Avid ;P
I was reading about the L3 Ultramaximizer and some people tend to think that the L3 lost some of it's balls after the L2 version. I assume you disagree with this since your recommending it. I've been spending the morning downloading a **** ton of Waves demos so I guess I'll see for myself soon enough; I'm gonna be trying out all three: L1, L2, L3 and L3LL. I'll letcha know what I think.