Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2003, 08:47 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default Creating HARMONY in PT from Existing TRACKS

Does anybody record vocal parts and then use a plug in to create harmonies WITH PT instead of singing them "in real life"?

Some of the people I work for could really benefit from this if I could figure out how to do it properly.

I have used the "Pitch" (forgive me if I'm calling it by the wrong name) plug in to correct some small corrections in otherwise good takes, but I'm talking about taking an entire phrase and making a complete COUNTER MELODY by pitching stuff up a 3rd or a 5th and so on.

C'mon people . . . I know this is probably standard procedure for some of you.

Thanks- [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 07-28-2003, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Creating HARMONY in PT from Existing TRACKS

There's an audio suite plugin that will change the pitch. What I did was duplicate the track, figure out the pitches on guitar, select on the grid the part on the new track and changed the pitch. It was hard to do because of selecting where to change the pitch to keep it in key and it altered the character of the persons voice so I had to keep it low in the mix but it sounded really good.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:30 PM

That doesn't always work depending on the key of the tune. This is where the astounding properties of the harmonizer come into play. Tell it what key you're dealing with, and it does it all for you (for the most part). I still recommend tracking harminies though!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:05 AM

I assume you mean that you take cords from like a midi guitar track or played keyboard to make background chorus parts?

I don´t know of any plugin to do that available in PC RTAS. There are however a couple of hardware solutions like TC voiceworks/quintett, Eventide and Yamaha (f.x. Mu100R). There are more, I just wanted to give you a few names, if you need a solution now.

You have to put it way back in the mix for it to work, on the other hand they sing in tune and you don´t have to limit yourself to voice - you can apply this to f.x. strings...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-29-2003, 10:50 AM

Some of the waves plugins will do that.... but it winds up sounding more like a vocoder.
Still kind of neat though.