Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 10-18-2002, 12:32 AM

Default space allocation problems - when there\'s heaps of space!

Here's my prob... Whenever I hit record I get a message that says "could not allocate space for recording". I bought a brand new dedicated USB 20G external drive for PTF to fix the problem, but I am still getting the message. And yes, I have changed the disc allocation and limited the Open Ended Record Allocation. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using a 1999 clam-shell i-book running OS 9.1 and I'm at my wit's end. I just wanna get started! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2002, 04:42 AM

Default Re: space allocation problems - when there\'s heaps of space!

At the risk of asking a stupid question, here 'tis:
Is the new drive on Digi's list of compatible drives?

I'm using SCSI for my external drive, so I dunno about USB-flavored drives.

I remember in 1999, when I was getting started with Pro Tools, I scrambled to get a hold of one of the last available Beige desktop G3's so I would have SCSI built-in. In "those days" Pro Tools wasn't ready for the new technology of the new Macs and people who got the Blue-and-White G3's were outta luck for quite a while.

db
PT 11
----
Never Stop Playing.
DBCooperVO.com
Old 10-18-2002, 05:08 PM

Default Re: space allocation problems - when there\'s heaps of space!

USB does not have enough throughput to run multiple tracks of audio to/from a HD i.e. the bus is not fast enough. It's fine for keyboards, mice and most printers/ home scanners though.