Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Avid say that the Dock works standalone with an iPad

i own an MC Transport and iPad as well .. i understand and have watched the Dock Vid's .. but as someone else had mentioned .. too many Hold this Down to Get there and move some parameter .. will need to put hands on one to really know .. did not make it to NAMM ..

you can see where i am coming from .. Free then BAM !!!! 1200.00 ...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i own an MC Transport and iPad as well .. i understand and have watched the Dock Vid's .. but as someone else had mentioned .. too many Hold this Down to Get there and move some parameter .. will need to put hands on one to really know .. did not make it to NAMM ..

you can see where i am coming from .. Free then BAM !!!! 1200.00 ...
I had a quick demo of the Avid Dock at NAMM

As a professional "fader jockey" (engineer) there is one VERY big downside to the current design.

I am hoping this downside can be changed - maybe in version 2 software (so to speak) and be made a preference......

As it is now - to get the fader into any automation mode - you press the automation mode button on The Dock (read, touch, latch, write, trim, etc) THEN WHILE HOLDING THAT .... YOU HAVE TO PRESS "SEL" (for select) with another finger.

It is a two finger process to change the automation mode.

Every

Single

Time.

And that is 100% a deal breaker for me.

Why?

Because ....

If I am going to do something 5,000 times a day, it had better be easy, quick, and most importantly ergonomic!!

Does anyone else agree with me?!?!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:23 AM

thx for posting that .. i could not remember where i saw it ... what he said !!! LOL

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-15-2016, 11:43 PM
ACI/ALP Moderator

As far as I know, the Pro Tools Control app that the Dock uses will be the same as the free app that anyone can use. There's no plan to have a separate version of the app that's just for Dock users.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post

As a professional "fader jockey" (engineer) there is one VERY big downside to the current design.

I am hoping this downside can be changed - maybe in version 2 software (so to speak) and be made a preference......

As it is now - to get the fader into any automation mode - you press the automation mode button on The Dock (read, touch, latch, write, trim, etc) THEN WHILE HOLDING THAT .... YOU HAVE TO PRESS "SEL" (for select) with another finger.

Every

Single

Time.

Why?

Because ....

If I am going to do something 5,000 times a day, it had better be easy, quick, and most importantly ergonomic!!

Agreed. I don't think this will be too hard to fix. The buttons should be locking. That's all. Like shift lock.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 AM

I'm guessing the final version would allow you to toggle through the automation modes via the REC/A (record enable / automation mode) button. This is how it works on the S3. The Dock has the same buttons on the focus fader. Did you try this method at NAMM?

On the S3 You have the option of 1) press and holding the auto mode and then selecting the channel (as you describe) or 2) toggling automation modes using the REC/A button next to the fader.

The only downside to the second method is you have to have the surface shift pressed to change the REC/A button to toggle automation modes. You can latch the surface shift but then the other function buttons do their shift command.

There has been a feature request to have a Eucon Preference to swap or reverse the shift of the REC/A button. If that gets implemented it would be great! In post we are certainly more likely to change automation modes than record enable a track. At least I am. Vote it up here!

I personally like the option of the changing automation modes the way you're describing. 003 users are used to only working that way. Even on the S6 I sometimes use this method, especially when I'm changing multiple specific tracks to specific modes. But other times on just a single fader to directly jump from one mode to the other. It's quick and precise. Sometimes when I toggle I skip the mode then I have to circle back around. Haha.

You could also program a soft key with the "do to selected" or "do to all" command to change the automation mode of the selected tracks or all the tracks. Then with the channel(s) already selected, you'd push that soft key then the automation mode button. Or if you have the "Select by Touch" preference enabled it'd be one less button push when you want to change the mode of the track you're riding.

There are a few of options in the S3 and S6 for tackling automation modes. I'd bet the Dock will have these same options soon, if it doesn't already. Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Every

Single

Time.

Why?

Because ....

so any chance this has been addressed?

or somehow a custom Eucon control could be written OVER the stock automation mode button on The Dock... so I never have to also hit SEL

Old 04-16-2016, 03:45 PM

ummm .. don't hold your breath .. EuCon is not progressing well .. the Dock was suppose to be out Jan 1 then April 1 .. they must have moved that again ..

and i would not be surprised at all if they start charging for the PT Control Software when the Dock comes out ... oh, you want those features, ok, they are part of the PT Control / Dock / Production Package for 99.00 .. with in App purchases to unlock all the Cool Features ..

LOL

Quote:
so any chance this has been addressed?

or somehow a custom Eucon control could be written OVER the stock automation mode button on The Dock... so I never have to also hit SEL

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro