Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Default Will outdated iLok USB dongle become thing of the past?

Just wondering if anyone has any news on this. At times I would love to use my Macbook to do a quick edit on the go... But the Damn iLok is in the studio! I cant tell you how many times I wish I had it with me at a different location.

Look, everything is connected to the web. I have a 40 dollar program "Mixed in Key" that you cannot use unless you are online to prove its valid. Cant Avid or iLok come up with a way to verify you are in fact using a non pirated version by verifying through the internet???

Its almost 2015. This is so redic!!!!!!

There is a simple solution...

If you are on the web you can login and prove you have the liscence

If you are offline you need your iLok!

Seems reasonable, I cant believe this is still going on! Is there any hope for change????? AHHHHH

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Will outdated iLok USB dongle become thing of the past?

Quote:
Cant Avid or iLok come up with a way to verify you are in fact using a non pirated version by verifying through the internet???
Ask Waves how well that worked for them, kracked in less than a week.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 AM

I don't put my production computer online. So I would not want a verification system that requires a persistent internet connection.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Well your computer would not need to be online if you had the iLok. Im saying for those "On the go" people. There should be a way to login and verify credentials without a USB dongle.

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmichaelwenz View Post

There is a simple solution...

If you are on the web you can login and prove you have the liscence

If you are offline you need your iLok!

Seems reasonable, I cant believe this is still going on! Is there any hope for change????? AHHHHH

In the mean time, why not buy yourself a 2nd iLok (it makes sense to have a spare any way)?

That way you can finish work at the studio, sync your iLok, and move your Pro Tools asset off the Studio's iLok, depositing it in your account.

When you get home (or wherever) and need to work on your Laptop, log in to your iLok account, and move your Pro Tools asset from your account, and on to your 2nd iLok.

That way you never have to transport an iLok with a valuable asset on it - the asset is always in "the cloud" during transit, the Studio iLok never leaves the studio, and your 2nd iLok never leaves your alternative location (unless you really need it on a plane etc).
Old 09-19-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmichaelwenz View Post
Well your computer would not need to be online if you had the iLok. Im saying for those "On the go" people. There should be a way to login and verify credentials without a USB dongle.
You can already do that with the iLok License Manager. And some companies, including Eventide and Metric Halo do not require the use of the iLok USB dongle, even though they do require that you use iLok and their cloud verification.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-20-2014, 10:29 AM

Interesting, so your saying I could use the app iLok license manager and open PT? I'm gonna try it tonight

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 AM

No that is not what he said. he gave examples of *other* companies use of Pace iLok software features. Pro Tools requires an iLok with an appropriate license asset on it to be connected at all times. You also need the iLok license manager software installed so Pro Tools can recognize the iLok.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:44 AM

Default Will outdated iLok USB dongle become thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
In the mean time, why not buy yourself a 2nd iLok (it makes sense to have a spare any way)?

That way you can finish work at the studio, sync your iLok, and move your Pro Tools asset off the Studio's iLok, depositing it in your account.

When you get home (or wherever) and need to work on your Laptop, log in to your iLok account, and move your Pro Tools asset from your account, and on to your 2nd iLok.

That way you never have to transport an iLok with a valuable asset on it - the asset is always in "the cloud" during transit, the Studio iLok never leaves the studio, and your 2nd iLok never leaves your alternative location (unless you really need it on a plane etc).

Trying to frequently bounce a license asset between two iLoks seems a very bad and cumbersome idea. They are not designed for this, and the effort of depositing a license into your account from one iLok is more than the effort of just unplugging the iLok and taking it with you. If there are extra things on the iLok not needed for mobile/home use then by all means use multiple iLoks to reduce loss potential. As always care, ZDT and loss insurance are needed.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-21-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:29 PM

One day this will change. Think we have a while to wait before it happens.