Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Is snow leopard and pt9 safe

Hmm - actually you don't even need to resize - just click the + button and it creates one for you... Use the little slider to adjust the size..
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stutter View Post
You drag the little corner of the partition up - that gives you free space, then you add another partition with the 'plus' button. I think you have to have selected the ACTUAL drive in the left column. You don't get this option if you've selected a volume.

That make sense?
Thanks Matt. I get the part about how to create a new partition. However, on the right, in the middle the text says, "To erase and partition the selected disk." I stop right there. To erase.

So, if I hit "apply" it will not erase my System Drive? It will simply create a new partition?

The only time I have partitioned a disk was with a blank drive that I erased and partitioned.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Must be a Snow Leopard thing. You can't do it in Leopard. I was planning on taking a Leopard drive and partitioning it to put SL on it. Unless someone knows something I don't?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 AM

Hi Tom

I am running Leopard with 8.04 and have a second partition with SL & 8.1 (& a third one with SL and media composer too!).

I have been gently building my SL partition/PT install up (it takes ages) in down time.

I bought ipartition to do this - works a charm.

All partitions are of course backed up with superduper

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Must be a Snow Leopard thing. You can't do it in Leopard.
I checked both L andSL, Disk Utility appears to be the same. If you select a drive you see blue area representing your data and white for the remainder. If you click +, it appears to add a partition. While the text does say "erase", I notice that if instead use the drop down menu to select the number of partitions, the blue goes away completely, which would seem to say it will erase the drive, not create a new partition. I also noticed that it warns you that the drive you booted from cannot be erased, but it still appears to give an option to partition. I have clients this morning so I'm not going to take the time to clone a disk and try it, but it looks promising.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Looking at SL Disk Utility here.

Confirmed: it's very easy to add a partition to a live volume, even apparently the currently booted system.

You can:
- select a drive mechanism from the list on the left (select the mechanism, not the volume it contains)
- click the "partition" tab
- "resize handles" (little angled "grab" mark in lower left corner) appear on the existing partition(s) for the drive. As Postman says, the used area is shown in blue for each volume.
- Drag a resize handle up. Disk Utility says "The partition will be resized" and tells you how much space will be freed up
- Once you've freed up the right chunk of space, you can click the "+" button below to add a new partition in the available free space. At this point you can slide the divider between the old partition which is being resized, and the new one.
- Choose a Format (go "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)") DON'T go case sensitive.
- Click "Apply" and the new partition is made.

- Late addition: you can just select a partition, click the "+" button and the partition is automatically split into two, with no dragging of resize handles.

BTW - if Disk Utility puts up ANY dialogue asking for confirmation, be VERY CAREFUL what you do. In a half second you can wipe a drive. (I just mistakenly wiped my "alt system" partition when testing. Can restore from clone but a little scary how easy that was to do.)

-jeremiah