Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Even Dirk Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people

I don't think you can assume that there's no bug fixes in 9 vs 8.1. I don't know what/if they are, but I was once told by a software developer (not of Pro Tools) that when they release a new update and list the new stuff in that version, there was generally lots of little bug fixes under the surface as well but they never specifically mentioned them. Unless you're talking about major bugs that are leaping from version to version?

Of course the number one priority of everyone should be to fix bugs and make the software more stable but the reality is feature creep and innovation is what keeps the cash registers pumping and without that, the whole thing will go away.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Dear DTS,

fact is that LE user get MORE from PT9 than HD Users. Yet, AVID saw fit to charge the ones getting less, MORE for the upgrade.
If as you almost state yourself, that this upgrade is more for the LE users, WHY on earth charge the HD users MORE... Especially, when you DONT
provide those BUG fixes we have been waiting for FOR YEARS.
>>>
This deserves an answer...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 PM

I thought DTS answered in post #46.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 AM

As a TDM user it would be easy to just claim PT9 was poor value with a leaning towards le users. On the surface you can add up major features and feel ripped off after being loyal with Avid's high end products. However, I see this update as being good for Pro Tools as a whole going forward.

The only real mistake is being located in Europe of course. Why not just charge in dollars when it is a download. Who needs regions on the website anyway?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 AM

I'll stick with PT 8 HD as long as i can. Software for only one system is more stable than software for multiple systems. Thats for sure!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts
Dear DTS,

fact is that LE user get MORE from PT9 than HD Users. Yet, AVID saw fit to charge the ones getting less, MORE for the upgrade.
If as you almost state yourself, that this upgrade is more for the LE users, WHY on earth charge the HD users MORE... Especially, when you DONT
provide those BUG fixes we have been waiting for FOR YEARS.
>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
This deserves an answer...
Indeed. No, it was not answered. (+1 no need for the traveling license, already have my mbox and I will not willingly move my precious ilok for more than I need to anyway)
Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

As for this release being 'a few unlocks' - far, far from it. Untethering itself was a huge amount of development work - a massive change to how all our hardware works with the software
...a huge amount of development work, paid for by HD users, that does not benefit HD users in any way, at least as far as I can see.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
Has anyone mentioned this one huge point yet?
The HD9 authorization on an iLok gives the user the literal equivalent of a Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK system. In other words, you pull that iLok and stick it in your laptop and you've got yourself a PT9 w/CPTK system. You could argue that this is a $2,250 value alone (but of course it's not two "real" systems)

For those who move about, this makes the HD upgrade GREAT value because that laptop or home machine suddenly gets all the HD level software magic (advanced automation, full Digibase browsers, etc etc). And it of course requires no additional hardware.

I can now take work home from the studio and keep editing/tuning/comping whatever without dragging an MBox around just to auth Pro Tools. Plug my headphones into cheap computer speakers and I'm away.

If you don't move around or reap a benefit for this, then fair enough - maybe you should sit this one out and wait for PT9.1 or 10 or whatever.
I think you're missing the point of what a number of people, including myself, are complaining about here.

It's not that I think there aren't new features which are worth paying for in this update, most notably, as you point out, the untethering. The point is that we (hd users) have to pay more money for an upgrade that gives fewer feature upgrades. It is not the paying that's the issue. It's the €101 ($100) more - how it's 28% more for us here is a whole 'nother bag o shenanigans..

It really is a point of principle this. Over the years I have bought a pro-tools project system with an 882, a pro-tools III system with an 888, a hd2 system with 2 192s (with expansion cards), 2 digi 'quiet drives', 2 digi synchronisers, a 001, a 002, 2 mbox 1s, an mbox 2 pro and an mbox micro as well as every software upgrade (TDM and LE) since pt 3.x. It's not the €30 euro is all that much in that scheme of things - but that's not the point. It's that customer loyalty is being ill-treated.

David

http://www.studioblackbox.fr
twitter: @studioblackbox
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
...a huge amount of development work, paid for by HD users, that does not benefit HD users in any way, at least as far as I can see.
Exactly!!
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
You see, lest this be seen as a whinge-fest - there has been development paid for by both HD and LE users - and this upgrade does indeed benefit HD users - simply not as much as LE users yet we are being asked to pay MORE!

David

http://www.studioblackbox.fr
twitter: @studioblackbox