How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 AM

Default Re-linking Audio Files

Need some help understanding why it is on some sessions I get the pop window telling me PT is trying to re-link certain audio files. In one case, it says there are missing audio files, and wants to re-link them, but as far as I can tell, all the audio files for the session are right there just fine.

In another case, it said audio files were missing and went to re-link them, but they aren't there.

In all cases, the files were transferred to my new Dell XPS Win-7 system from my Seagate USB back-up drive. They got there when I ran back-ups off my old Dell 520 XPS system. Whenever I create a new session, I ALWAYS create file first for that session in whatever directory I need it to be on on the hard drive for my PT sessions, and then I name the session. That way, I can do "save as" and re-name the session on later versions, while preserving the older versions, in case I want to go back. But ALL of them reside in the session folder I originally created. I've always just assumed that when I did my hard drive back-up to the Seagate USB drive, that everything was saved and stored and backed up exactly the way it was on my PT session hard drive.

So, when I set up the new Dell XPS system, I simply plugged the Seagate into it, and then just dragged over my entire main PT session folder to the new D: drive on my new system. So I bit mystified as to why audio files turn up missing and can't be re-linked etc etc.

Is it not the case that PT stores all the session files in whatever folder you put the session in in the first place? And if that is the case, why would they just disappear?

And once I get them re-linked, and I've saved everything onto the new hard drive, will they all be together in that session's folder, or scattered about like confetti on the hard drive?