Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Lightbridge Discontinued!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
There is always the Presonus lightpipe
Also recently discontinued - I have one - works great.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinTaper View Post
Also recently discontinued - I have one - works great.
With PT9?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-27-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
If you guy's can do MADI there are a number of ad/da converters that can do 32 i/o at 96. The Rme ADI-648 can do 32 i/o at 96 via s/mux. RME also makes the Madi pci cards, they even have one for a Laptop via the express slot!

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_madiface.php

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADI648
MADI stuff is a factor of 5-10 more expensive. I can't get into that league. But thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I would stick at least another 2 GB (depending on the generation, you could probably get up to 6 or 8GB) in that Macbook if you expect to do a lot of heavy recording.

Otherwise, I've managed 18 I/O no sweat with my (even older) Macbook Pro through daisy-chained FW400... so I imagine eSATA having no dramas with 32.
I thought 2GB of RAM was the max in this generation of MacBookPro's. But I guess I can check. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
MADI stuff is a factor of 5-10 more expensive. I can't get into that league. But thanks.

I thought 2GB of RAM was the max in this generation of MacBookPro's. But I guess I can check. Thanks for the input.
I used to have a link kicking around that listed exactly what every generation's max was (beyond what Apple claimed). I don't have it handy, because I haven't imported my bookmarks yet from my last reformat.

Out of curiosity, I could probably recall if you can give me the exact model of your Macbook.

If you click on the Apple logo in the top left corner... then About This Mac > More Info... the very first thing you should see is hardware overview. The Model Identifier is all I need. For example: "MacbookPro3,1"

I don't think any model of Macbook Pro was ever capped at 2GB. Apple spec usually said 4GB max, but I found out about 8 months ago that a lot of the older generation Macbook Pros will actually cap out at 6GB, and some of them 8GB. Can be a bit experimental with the 6GB, because you have to use a 2GB and a 4GB DIMM, but mine does it with no issues whatsoever.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I used to have a link kicking around that listed exactly what every generation's max was (beyond what Apple claimed). I don't have it handy, because I haven't imported my bookmarks yet from my last reformat.

Out of curiosity, I could probably recall if you can give me the exact model of your Macbook.

If you click on the Apple logo in the top left corner... then About This Mac > More Info... the very first thing you should see is hardware overview. The Model Identifier is all I need. For example: "MacbookPro3,1"

I don't think any model of Macbook Pro was ever capped at 2GB. Apple spec usually said 4GB max, but I found out about 8 months ago that a lot of the older generation Macbook Pros will actually cap out at 6GB, and some of them 8GB. Can be a bit experimental with the 6GB, because you have to use a 2GB and a 4GB DIMM, but mine does it with no issues whatsoever.
Thanks Dism. I have the MacBookPro2,2. It's the only 15" variety they made with the PCExpress 34 slot. At the next generation only the 17" ones got the PC Card Slot.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dism. I have the MacBookPro2,2. It's the only 15" variety they made with the PCExpress 34 slot. At the next generation only the 17" ones got the PC Card Slot.
Mine is slightly newer, but of the same "pre-unibody" build that still had the EC34 slot. eSATA through that slot makes a hell of a difference for loading VI's!

It looks like yours is too old to bump to even 4GB... but, of course it goes higher than Apple's spec max. You can put up to 3GB in that model. I believe you can buy kits directly from OWC for that.

D

Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:

The early Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) ones are capped at definitely capped 2GB. I can tell you that from actual experience.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Mine is slightly newer, but of the same "pre-unibody" build that still had the EC34 slot. eSATA through that slot makes a hell of a difference for loading VI's!

It looks like yours is too old to bump to even 4GB... but, of course it goes higher than Apple's spec max. You can put up to 3GB in that model. I believe you can buy kits directly from OWC for that.
Thanks DISM - if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me a link to OWC's page that would be great. Though I have a feeling I'll still be able to to 32 when the drives are hangin' off the PC card slot. People have no idea how much that frees up your DAW to do its thing. The worst thing you can do in the firewire interface scenarios on laptops is to use a FW drive AND a FW audio interface daisy chained -- at least in terms of track count, etc..
Old 11-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks DISM - if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me a link to OWC's page that would be great. Though I have a feeling I'll still be able to to 32 when the drives are hangin' off the PC card slot. People have no idea how much that frees up your DAW to do its thing. The worst thing you can do in the firewire interface scenarios on laptops is to use a FW drive AND a FW audio interface daisy chained -- at least in terms of track count, etc..

Simply do a partial DVERB test (minus the DVERBS ...If it will record 32 tracks of sine wave it will record 32 tracks of audio..... Chances are good that you can record 32 tracks to one FW or eSATA drive since its not dealing with edits. Try it for the amount of time you expect to record. If you don't encounter any issues try it at twice the sample rate. If thats good you should be just fine. If not split it across 2 drives.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 11-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
The early Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) ones are capped at definitely capped 2GB. I can tell you that from actual experience.
Yes, you're right. The first 2 revisions were capped at 2GB.

The 2,1 was the first to unofficially support 3GB. The 3,1 (mine) was the first to support 6GB, and was of the last generation of 15" with EC34. Most early unibody models (4,x) also supported 6. Pretty well everything after that will unofficially and officially support 8GB.

D