Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 04-23-2011, 01:48 AM

Default HD Native with 002R

Would my BLA 002R work with PT9 HD, if I bought a HD native card with PT9?

(No money for interface yet)
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Would my BLA 002R work with PT9 HD, if I bought a HD native card with PT9?

(No money for interface yet)
No, not in the sense that you get the mix/monitoring or low latentcy hardware features of the Native interface and Native offers no TDM processing anyhow so you don't get that either. Pro Tools 9 will see a HD Native with no interface and not work or will see your 002 just like it does now but since you will have the CPTK features based on the HD iLok Licence you will get to use the software features of CPTK (with no need to plug in the Native PCIe card, which seems a waste). If you want those a much cheaper way would be to purchase a Pro Tools 9 HD licence used - see the for sale forum here.

What features, capacity or oerformance are you actually trying to change/improve?

Darryl
Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 AM

Default Re: HD Native with 002R

Yes, it will work fine. It's just like having "standard" PT9 and Complete Toolkit 2. Only it will say "HD9" whenever you launch the program.

I recently bought the HD Native card and software, but I don't yet have a Mac Pro, or an HD interface. So my HD card is still sitting in the box. I'm using a stock 003R with the HD 9 software on my 2007 Imac, and it works perfectly. Just like using LE, only way cooler.

You'll want to make sure you do a complete (clean) uninstall of PT 8.

Then, when you register the HD Native card and software, in your account you will have various versions you can download. Included in this is the full installer for HD 9.0.2. You download this and install it and you're ready to go.

Note that with any version of PT9 (either regular or HD) you will need to separately download the new drivers for your 002 (or any other Digi interface). It's not built in to the software like it was before. They're found on this page:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...411&NewLang=en

Also, I noticed you have the MP Toolkit 2. You don't need to uninstall the plugins that came with it, but you may need to get any latest updates for them. And the actual Toolkit installer may need to be removed so there's no potential issues (you may already know that the functionality of that is built into PT9). You may want to sell that Ilok license (for the toolkit only, not the plugins) to someone who's still staying in PT 7 or 8.

EDIT: I started writing this before I saw that Darryl already posted. His suggestion is valid as well. I'm going on the assumption that TCM specifically wants the the features of the HD Native card, vs. just the HD software.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
EDIT: I started writing this before I saw that Darryl already posted. His suggestion is valid as well. I'm going on the assumption that TCM specifically wants the the features of the HD Native card, vs. just the HD software.
Thanks nst7 and Darryl.
I am aware that I couldn't use the card features. I wanted to know whether HD 9 would work with my 002R, also for recording.

I am still not quite sure which route I will go: SSL Alpha Link with an SSL or a RME Madi card; or HD Native. I maximum would need 24 I/Os.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks nst7 and Darryl.
I am aware that I couldn't use the card features. I wanted to know whether HD 9 would work with my 002R, also for recording.

I am still not quite sure which route I will go: SSL Alpha Link with an SSL or a RME Madi card; or HD Native. I maximum would need 24 I/Os.
You could probably grab a used 96 I/O for next to nothing if you want to jump into HD Native right away. The old blue boxes work with the HD Native card.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
You could probably grab a used 96 I/O for next to nothing if you want to jump into HD Native right away. The old blue boxes work with the HD Native card.

Shane
True, but the converters are supposedly not that great.

I need to keep an eye on good converters as well, as I want to add analog summing later (Dangerous 2bus or Neve 8816).

Thanks, Shane, your input is always appreciated!

Thomas
Old 05-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
True, but the converters are supposedly not that great.

I need to keep an eye on good converters as well, as I want to add analog summing later (Dangerous 2bus or Neve 8816).

Thanks, Shane, your input is always appreciated!

Thomas
An affordable way to give the converters a boost would be the BLA Micro Clock MK2. On a similar topic, the 192 I/O will be used on recordings for many more years to come. It's still a great box and very affordable in the used market.

That said, I'd like to see Avid create a more affordable I/O box for the HD Native line. Maybe a bare bones 4 I/O or something.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit