Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Slightly OT, drum triggers....

Hi guys,

I am a drummer using a g4 with 001, running reason 3 and PT 6.4.
I have been using my mouse to program midi in PT, triggering from reason.

I have recently just realised all my training as a pro drummer is negated, as i am not playing in anything live, and obvioulsy the 'groove/feel' is missing.

So my question is this, how good are drum triggers?

Are they basically off/on parameters, or can you get a range of dynamics from them?
Can you play quite softly (I live in a flat) but still get them to trigger?
Anyone recommend any they have used?
What is a good sound module for plugging them into?

I probably will only get three: BD, SD, HH (is that possible?) for just groove stuff, so obviously a roland td module might be a bit wasted, anything cheaper for my needs out there?

Thanks in advance, i am quite naive to the whole electronic drums stuff...

Andrew
Old 07-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Slightly OT, drum triggers....

guess it all depends on what kind of set up youe want. I use Trigger finger running through TooTracks BFH Superior. Way sweet! You can also get a midi drum kit and do the same thing. I am not a drummer so I use trigger finger to program my tracks, and then use Rewire to connect to BFH. It has everything from multiple mics on the kick, to overheads, etc. Just got the stuff last week and it's amazing.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:23 PM

I ideally want to use my existing kit, but with triggers, so I make my parts sound as live and realistic as possible.
I'll have a look at what you mentioned, thanks, but want to use sticks, not fingers for authentic feel.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:57 PM

I know there are various triggers available that work acoustics (haven't used any personally), but I doubt that you'd get nearly the sensitivity of a dedicated trigger like those in the higher end e-kits like the Roland TD series, or Hart Dynamics (for a couple examples-- there are others). Many of the better current mesh trigger pads (and some e-cymbals too) have positional sensing and dual triggers too.

I have a complete TD-20 kit and I had never even considered e-drums til I tried this kit. The other obvious bonus, if you're at a place where noise is an issue, e-kits are way quieter than acoutics--- though not completely silent.

As far as modules the TD-20 is currently the way to go for recording if using the onboard sounds (8 outputs, S/PDIF, CF slot, more editing options, etc)-- there are quite a few 3rd party kit programs out now for the 20 that are pretty impressive sounding as well as an expansion card expected in October apparently.

If you're just looking to trigger something like DFHS, I'd get something cheaper that has MIDI.
---
c
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02 AM
FXpansion Audio

Quote:

Are they basically off/on parameters, or can you get a range of dynamics from them?

Yes. The range you can get varies depending on the triggers... cheap toy triggers like the Yamaha DD-series will give you 4 or 8 levels, a DDrum or TD-20 will give you 100+.

Quote:

Can you play quite softly (I live in a flat) but still get them to trigger?

Yes.

Quote:

Anyone recommend any they have used?

KAT / AlternateMode DK-10 are a good low-end solution.. or get an Alesis D4 or DM5 brain and some Hart mesh-head pads for a more realistic feel.

Quote:

What is a good sound module for plugging them into?

The D4 / DM5 brains come with sounds, as do the more expensive Clavia and Roland brains. The Drumkat and DK-10 do not.

Quote:

I probably will only get three: BD, SD, HH (is that possible?) for just groove stuff, so obviously a roland td module might be a bit wasted, anything cheaper for my needs out there?

Well, a TD-3 is pretty affordable and good for convenience.. in that it comes with everything you need. Whereas if you buy a mix of Hart (or similar) mesh head pads and an Alesis brain, you'll also have to track down suitable mounting hardware for the pads.