Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-02-2005, 01:04 PM

Default NEWBIES (look here first!) Help us Help You!

I am not an expert on pro tools. So I know how tough it can bewhen you're getting started. But one way you can help yourself is to do a "Search" in the DUC - FIRST - before you ask about your issue. Some of the most talked about issues are mic pres, converters, headphone amps, software etc. It can really save you some time and frustration.

Now for me sometimes I have a problem searching. It will bring up literally every topic sometime. Can someone please provide some tips on how to do a good search?

Let's try to keep this at the top so new users will automatically come here first.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: NEWBIES (look here first!) Help us Help You!

anyone have the time or inclination to put together a DUC FAQ/Best of? That really cut down on the repeat questions at tapeop.

the search function of the DUC leaves a little to be desired. dont forget to +add +your +plus +signs.

Will
Old 07-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:

the search function of the DUC leaves a little to be desired. dont forget to +add +your +plus +signs.

Will
lol! I know. I learned that today!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:34 PM

Search tips from the search page are pretty helpful.

This issue has also been discussed on these forums here as well. Putting quotes around a phrase is probably the most effective one. Searching for microphone preamps will give you results of every post with the word microphone, every post with the word preamps, and any post with the phrase microphone preamps. Searching for "microphone preamps" will return only those posts with the phrase microphone preamps. Without the quotes longer phrases with common words such as "the" or "for" return ridiculous amounts of results.

Using the + modifier will return all posts that contain all of the words with the plus modifier in front. For instance, searching for +samplerate +error will return all posts that contain both words, but not necessarily consecutively (together). The plus modifier also works on phrases, such as +"microphone preamp" +lightpipe

Conversely, the - modifier excludes words or phrases.

We used to have a FAQ section that someone put together, but with all of the frequent updates, and people choosing not to upgrade, with so many different software options, and with so many different hardware options it was impossible to maintain and became obsolete rather quickly.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-02-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Use +keyword for required keywords.
Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.
Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.
Even the search tips could use a little help for the new folks. how about something like:

Quote:
Use +keyword for required keywords. For example:
Microphone +preamp will find all threads with the words Microphone and preamp.

Use -keyword to exclude posts with a the specified keyword. For example:
Mixer -behringer will find all threads with the word 'mixer' except for threads that also have the word 'behringer'. this will save you money in the long run.

Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.
"Microphone Preamp" will find all threads with the exact phrase "Microphone Preamp". This differs from the +keyword option. the +keyword option will find threads containing both words but they dont need to be next to each other.

I dunno, something like that. A little more help would be swell. maybe if we come up with some better instructions, digiadmin will change the php file and help some folks out. Hit the quote button and improve away. a little css would surely help!

Will
Old 07-02-2005, 04:30 PM

Good tips though.

Hey here's an idea. how about a self-supplied type system. When you do a search and you think the info is valid. Come back here, and post a link to that search. Just do it in your own time as we go. i think that's the best way to get digiadmin involved because if its substantial, they'll put a sticky on this topic.

What do you guys think about that?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:04 PM

I searched for over an hour today, in the forum search, with plus signs and quotations, as well as on the digidesign site and compatibility, as well as the documentation for the plug-in I was having an issue with, and I just couldn't find it. I'd like to avoid bothering you guys that have been over it time and again, but sometimes the resources are either a) just not there or b) too unorganized for an unfamiliar person to use.

For instance today, I had to leave for work. I searched for an hour and the digidesign site kept taking me in circles. You all know how it feels to have something not working right or incomplete but you're FORCED to leave it. I don't have to tell you that that makes for a miserable day at work, thinking about how you couldn't quite get finished.

I think the digidesign site is incredibly informative but not at all intuitive. There are too many links that ultimately take you to the same place but are called different things. I'm trying my hardest not to post things that I can find on my own, but sometimes, it's just too hard without a little direction from a familiar user.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:37 PM

keep this at the top so new users will come here first. will somebody also teach us how to post links to past duc search topics. I don't know how.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:06 AM

A good idea would be to turn the post archives into a Compiled Windows help file and make it available for download. That way users can search and browse offline. Which could be handy if networking is disabled etc.

I would be happy to do this if I could get access to the archives.

Comments ?

Cheers
Colin
Old 07-04-2005, 08:22 AM

That sounds like a great idea. You'd have to get in touch with digi somehow.

But for those that don't know, here is the plan. In your spare time. Post links here to top duc searches so that new users can come here and click on any given topic. I know how to post links to other sites, but I don't know how to post links to past threads or even search topics as the url in my browser doesn't change when I go to search. It just says digidesign.com.

If someone would teach us how to do that, I'll do a few in my spare time, and others can do it as well.

I've seen Inteldoc and other icons on the board do the links alot.

Even as we speak, someone is asking how to plug in a compressor and a mic.

That has been talked about 1000 times. If we had all the links here especially like a top 10 searches, and wouldhelp people out alot. And would cut down on the multiple posts.