How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2018, 04:06 PM

Default Re: From Mac to Windows - What to Expect

I find most people who have "issues" with windows, are like that purely because macs held their hand too much all these years. I've only ever used macs temporarily and found them a little 'dumbed down' for me, someone who builds my own PCs from own spec to get the best perf for the money for a variety of tasks. I couldn't be less interested in locked down hardware if you paid me (maybe ok in a tablet but not a desktop computer that I pay thousands for!). So the sooner you jump on the windows PC train and understand it the better imo, unlearn all the 'treats me like an idiot' stuff from the MAC years which actually made me feel like one (I find apple tends to overthink - for you - in the way they portray and design a lot of their software from the OS, to iPhone.. to even iTunes... often to the detriment of IT savvy power users who just want it to stop treating them like idiots and get out of the way).

Anyway, before going there....

Windows in fairness can be a bit of a head scratcher at times, even for someone who's used it since windows 98.. 20 years, over multiple systems. If it's working well and tweaked (services stopped, bloat uninstalled etc) and then imaged to a restorable backup (just 10 mins to reinstall in future and have it clean/fast) then it's just as slick/simple as mac basically. It's only when you dig down into the more complex stuff that MAC doesn't even let you do that you may lose your way.

Pro Tools wise? Excellent performance here on 12 HD with 8700k overclocked to 5ghz on all 6/12 cores. Just keeps on rolling, works great with D-command and if there's any crashes or issues, for me, it's typically a bad plug in rather than PT or Windows itself. Watch what you install, keep the bloat off, back It up when you have pt + plugs installed and you can get back to that state quickly if things get weird later on (windows 10 has built in system image maker to back up your system/C drive for future restore in minutes wiping out any nefarious/bloaty stuff that's cropped up since.. obviously store all your important data/music/files on a separate drive/partition as that won't need overwriting in future. And back up to a cloud server somewhere too with important DAW files! (same goes for mac there)