Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Default A simple PC based PT10 system for post (only)?

We need to get a PT 10/CPTK native system working here (we otherwise use Brand-X mostly), and it needs to be on a PC, pref with 32 bit W7. At this point I have zero interest in building a PC myself for this, or dealing with someone who will build some special music/audio PC for me. I see that Avid specs a couple of current HP PCs for use w/ PT (Z400 for instance)--is there any reason why just buying one of these (with some extra drives and a triple head video card) wouldn't work ok? We don't need the badassest PT system that ever was, just something that will work for relatively simple long-form projects. Due to other apps we need to run (and don't wish to rebuy) the system needs to be a PC, not a Mac. I posted this here since this system will be used exclusively for post, no music work etc..

(Apologies for the crosspost to those who also read the GS post forum.)

thanks for your thoughts

phil p
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 AM

Default Re: A simple PC based PT10 system for post (only)?

We have many video edits on z400s here, I think the 6 core model. They are pretty powerful machines, and highly professional, don't see why they wouldn't be up to snuff. Only headache with pt on a pc is no blackmagic support but you already mentioned getting a triple head video card.

MKD Creative
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Default Re: A simple PC based PT10 system for post (only)?

I've been running PCs for the last 6 years, and the higher spec'd z400 should do the trick for you. You should be able to add a 2nd dual head video card, as opposed to a triple head card - Triple head cards are expensive!

I was looking to upgrade to either a z400 or z800 in the last few weeks, but actually decided to go back to Mac - it's actually cheaper than a fully spec'd out z400, and it can run the blackmagic cards...

hope that helps...