Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-1998, 09:54 AM

Default what\'s the future of AudioVision......???

Will AudioVision and Protools tie the knot and live happily ever after?..........
Protools is now bundle with AudioVision. My question is what is the point. You can't make use of protools powerful TDM functions.
Protools can't playback AV digitize video, it only can playback Quicktime video......again my question what is the point?? Pls have mercy digidesign. Just merged the two DAW, and you have the most powerful DAW alive!......and more money for you guys too!
Old 05-20-1998, 05:34 PM

Default Re: what\'s the future of AudioVision......???

It's to bad that DigiDesign are not responding, very quickly to these messages. I realize this is a lot of work, but this is a great opportunity.

Last I heard Avid unofficially announced at NAB that the AudioVision is discontinued and that 4.0 is the last software version and bugs only will be fixed, that's the end!

What do you say DigiDesign? IS AV dead?

I personally think the AudioVision 3.6 is the best Editing system in the world. I further think that if ProTools were integrated into AudioVision that would be an unbeatable system. If AudioVision offered TDM access and the other features of ProTools, that would be amazing!

Problem is, AudioVision has not had a change in features in 2 years!!!! Even with that, with the unmatched integration of digital picture with audio of the AudioVision, AV is still a few years (or less?) ahead of the competition.

I have a regular column in the Motion Picture Editors Guild Newsletter (Picture and Sound Editors Union Local 776 for the Los Angeles area), devoted to using the AudioVision.

I provide user notes and product reviews for the AudioVision and comparisons to other systems.

The MPEG WebSite is at; editorsguild.com

Got there and link to the Newsletter, and Sound to see app notes and Reviews to see product reviews.

Keep Smiling!!!!

Robert DD Moore
Old 05-20-1998, 08:39 PM
Avid

To answer your question: Is AV dead?

I'll use a quote from the late Frank Zappa that he used in reference to Jazz some years ago...

"[AV] is not dead, it just smells funny"

The transfer of ownership/support from Avid to Digidesign has definitely and unfortunately "slowed" progress on AV.

However, AudioVision 4.1 will be released in the very near future (next several weeks barring any problems found). It is currently going through testing.

This version will be mass mailed to all currently registered AudioVision owners and available here on the Digidesign web page.

Although this version does not include any new features, it does include many bug fixes that will be detailed in the readme document included with it.

Although we are unable to guarantee if and/or when new features will be added we are still anxious to hear about any input you may have regarding AudioVision.

In response to Jake's posting...

What's the point of bundling Pro Tools and AudioVision?

No, it's not because we had some extra copies of Pro Tools laying around... The point is that both Pro Tools and AudioVision have many features to offer that the other does not. Depending on what kind of work you are doing and how you work, one or the other may be better suited for you.

To itemize:

The biggest item: TDM, TDM, TDM, TDM!!!!!
I think it is safe to say that a large number of AudioVision users are unfamiliar and therefore unaware of the true capabilities of Pro Tools/TDM and what it has to offer. Besides, going from AV to Pro Tools (and back if necessary) is not that bad.
I recommend getting a copy of Digidesign Development Partners Catalog that will give you a listing of all of the available plugins made by Digidesign and other Third Party companies and what they do.

- Clipped based DSP in AudioVision. Although many "music audio" folks might question this as a plus, Video folks swear by it.

- Two Systems in one. With both a fully functional AudioVision system and/or a fully functional Pro Tools III w/TDM system you have potentially increased your marketability.

- Pro Tools Sound design capabilities. Drawing and redrawing waveforms is not a possibility in AV. Again, a debatable feature for many "video" folks that "audio" folks swear by.

And though I'm running out of time to go on, there are many other advantages of having both AudioVision and Pro Tools bundled together besides the Pro Tools=AudioVision obvious.

"Just merge the two" he says... We all wish it was just that simple but AudioVision and Pro Tools are too very distinct applications that work with similar concepts and can get similar results but can take very different routes to get there making the merger an endeavor to say the least.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-05-1998, 11:53 AM

One small point to clarify:

The upcoming AV 4.1 update only supports PCI-based AudioVision systems, and will be automatically sent free of charge to all registered AV PCI owners.

If you're not registered, please contact Digidesign Technical Support to register.

Regarding the future of AudioVision, we have no specific announcements to make at this time, but rest assured, we take the high-end post market very seriously, and are working toward the sort of "best of both worlds" product as we speak!

Stay tuned, and thanks for your support.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSupt View Post
- Clipped based DSP in AudioVision. Although many "music audio" folks might question this as a plus, Video folks swear by it.
hey digidesign! this thread is some years old... but the truth remains.
video folks swear by it.
you DO software for video folks, too, didn´t you, right?
not just for music makers..

so, now it could be the time, because audio vision is no longer, to implement SOME*1 post features (yes i know, this wasn´t nice
but maybe we have to be a pain in the neck..)

(*1: clip based gain, clip based eq, bins, sequences and so on.)
Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 AM

With every new PT release I wait with bated breath (anticipation, not wormy) to fulfill my dreams of clip based effects and bins. Once again it appears I am to be disappointed. If only my C|24 could hug me back.....
Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 AM

My views are tainted by the past, so naturally I expect absolutely nothing to come out of Digidesign that resembles anything us post users truly wanted in the past 10 years. Some people think the beta forum is the only place you're listened to, but thankfully that's a little better at this time.

Thus we might get a bit luckier with the new PT8 range. It's the first time in over ten years I see hope for things like sequences, bins and clip stuff.

I hope they still have an AudioVision system around, and someone who can use it.