Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 AM

Default PT10: Lockup when un-grouping large clip-groups?

Hi,

anyone getting beach balls of death when ungrouping large clip-groups in PT10?
I get this all the time. Brings up bad memories of PT7.4 that crashed all the time when undoing region-group trims after complex re-cuts.

Frank.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 AM

Default Re: PT10: Lockup when un-grouping large clip-groups?

Yep. You're probably out of memory. Before doing complex region group stuff I would try quitting and relaunching Pro Tools and also setting the undo queue to maybe 1 or 2 undos.

We've gotten in the habit of keeping our eye on the "VSIZE" in Terminal. Helps a lot...

dc
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 AM

hm. not really. disk-caching is off. Undo level is set to 1. I always do that when conformalizing. A habit from working on 7.4

Plenty of RAM left BTW.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 AM

So I have 12GB RAM now. But it doesn't make a difference. Disk cache on or off doesn't make a difference either.

I´m on my 10th reboot while trying to trim regions groups after a re-cut and I have about 60 groups to go.

It seems even worse than under 7.4 on my old G5.

Undo level is set to 1.

I have about 11GB free memory when this happens and the session is still rather light as I have just started working.

If this goes on I´ll be working a week on the trims only.

Really frustrating.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM

Sorry,

but I have to point out again how annoying this is. In my current re-cut PT will lockup even when I make a selection inside a clip-group and hit C.

It seems to be worse than it ever was under PT7 (on a G5 with 6GB RAM!!)

I have 12GB free memory out of 16GB when this happens.

Have tried all sorts of combinations of settings. Currently disk-cache is off, undo-level is set to 1 and it happens every 2-3 edits. Sometimes even on the very first edit-operation after a complete re-boot.

It slows my workflow down to a crawl..

Please fix.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:45 AM

If I'm conforming with clip groups I tend to ungroup chunks I've finished editing after several cuts otherwise I get beachball lockup for about 30 seconds. Try minimizing the quantity of large groups you leave on the timeline.

This is on Mac Pro, 6GB ram, disk cache maxed.

-Justin
Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalkerPostAudio View Post
If I'm conforming with clip groups I tend to ungroup chunks I've finished editing after several cuts otherwise I get beachball lockup for about 30 seconds. Try minimizing the quantity of large groups you leave on the timeline.

This is on Mac Pro, 6GB ram, disk cache maxed.

-Justin
I do the same but very often I don´t even get to the point where I can ungroup after editing because PT has already locked up. These lockups are infinite on my side. To test I´ve even left the system beach-ball over night to find out if it comes back but even after 8 hours it wouldn't.

On my system the lockups only happen on trims and copy/paste operations. Ungrouping works fine.

Strangely the lockups never happen when it´s conformalizing. Only when hand-editing.