Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Default I'm impressed with Steven Slate drums!

I picked up the Steven Slate Drums EX library last month from Audiomidi.com as one of their No-Brainer deals. I had low expectations as the previous No-Brainer deal (Nomad Factory Analog Trackbox) had left me feeling less than warm and fuzzy.

I just played with it now (SSD - not trackbox) for about 30 minutes and I must say.... I'm impressed.

I'm normally a BFD2 guy. I use a combination of grooves and finger slamming on a keyboard. For my little test, I took a previous session with a BFD2 midi track already laid down and I simply put SSD on it instead.

SSD claims their samples to be the "finalized" version of several known drum kits - ie, these aren't raw, untouched samples. They're mixed and effected to sound like the finalized kit in the song. And to my ears, they do!

Of course, BFD2 could be used to make a finalized kit with all it's mixer capabilities and even it's kit presets - so this is no slight to BFD2. (BFD2 is soooo awesome!) It's just... Man! This SSD is sooooo simple. Play it and it sounds mixed and complete with little fiddling. And if I do want to fiddle, it's all right there in the Kontact player.

What an addition to the color palette! I'm no longer angry about spending $20 on Trackbox. Now I'll just think as though I spent $40 on SSD and I'll be happy.

Anyone else feelin' the love
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Re: I'm impressed with Steven Slate drums!

I'm diggin' SSD as well. Already used it on a bunch of stuff, even picked up two more EX packs. But I have to ask, doesn't BFD2 have 'finished' sounding kits as well? I was thinking about grabbing it...

P.S. - I also like the Trackbox, though. Used it a bunch too...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM

if it were 1995, i could not find a good drummer, and did not know how to mix... I would probably have spent the $20. For me, the no-brainer was to spend the $20 on something useful... since it is the 21st century and I own Superior 2 with a few packs. Cool that it is there for others though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkimer View Post
SSD claims their samples to be the "finalized" version of several known drum kits - ie, these aren't raw, untouched samples. They're mixed and effected to sound like the finalized kit in the song. And to my ears, they do!
Wouldn't this make these difficult to use in your own tracks since you'll have a completely different sonic landscape as these were eq'd, compressed etc for those specific mixes? It would be akin to using eq "presets" used from one mix, and trying to use them in another would it not? They sound good solo and on their own but it would probably be quite a bit of work and struggle trying to fit them in ones own mix as a complete replacement. I think the raw untouched sample versions would be better suited for mixing purposes in most cases.

I definitely have my eye on the Slate Digital virtual console plug-ins and of course Trigger.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
if it were 1995(?), i could not find a good drummer(?), and did not know how to mix(???)... I would probably have spent the $20. For me, the no-brainer was to spend the $20 on something useful(?)...

Whatever that means...

Tell any of that to the producers of Kelly Clarkson and Taylor Swift's last projects...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Wouldn't this make these difficult to use in your own tracks since you'll have a completely different sonic landscape as these were eq'd, compressed etc for those specific mixes? It would be akin to using eq "presets" used from one mix, and trying to use them in another would it not? They sound good solo and on their own but it would probably be quite a bit of work and struggle trying to fit them in ones own mix.

Not at all. I take 'finished' to mean more like 'complete'. Not so much a sound that requires shaping to just sound good. Sure, they do have kits that are modeled after certain sounds. But even those don't sound 'just like' the models in question. More like 'in the style of'. Quite easy to take what's given and polish to your own specs...

Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Not at all. I take 'finished' to mean more like 'complete'. Not so much a sound that requires shaping to just sound good. Sure, they do have kits that are modeled after certain sounds. But even those don't sound 'just like' the models in question. More like 'in the style of'. Quite easy to take what's given and polish to your own specs...
The SSD line has been on my "to buy" list for quite some time. My drum sample use is probably pretty bare bones compared to most. I'll sometimes layer a kick or snare just to add a bit of weight to the original if needed. Nothing over the top. At the end of a drum session I'll take multi samples of the toms and use these to replace the same toms in the track of just the close mic. It's my lazy way of cleaning up the bleed etc.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
But I have to ask, doesn't BFD2 have 'finished' sounding kits as well? I was thinking about grabbing it...
The stock BFD sounds are fairly raw, but there are expansion packs available from FXpansion and Platinum Samples with more "ready to go" sounds - not as effected as SSD though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUX6l45x4iE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM9l0cMn5jo

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Question Re: I'm impressed with Steven Slate drums!

Many of the BFD2 kit presets load a "sort-of" mixed and "ready to go" template of EQ, panning, parallel compression, etc. You can see it all and tweak it in the mixer. They're a nice start for a good sound.

I won't stop using BFD2. I just was pleased with how "idiot" the SSD was for simply load and go. If that appeals to you, you'll like it. If you prefer to tweak, BFD2 is more appropriate. (Although, there really are many tweakable parameters in the Kontact player the way SSD opens.)

As for "fit," I think the other post said it better than I originally did. These kits just seem cohesive and nicely mixed and effected to work as a solid stem.

I had them mixed in with bass and two guitar parts running through Ozone 4 on the Master and I thought it sounded great - especially the cymbals. The cymbals really had that pop commercial sound.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM

I've been disappointed with SSD EX. Gave it a try for $20. I have EZD, and am much happier with the sound I get out of it.

SSD has been over processed and cheap sounding to me. But, it's still early days of getting to know it. I just couldn't stand any of the snare sounds right off the bat. Not a good sign!