Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-29-2020, 12:30 AM

Default i9 10920X

I got my new pc a few days ago, with what I thoght was a real beast of a cpu.....
These are the specs;

ASUS Geforce GT 1030 2GB Silent
Intel Core i9-10920X cpu
HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHz 32GB
Kingston A2000 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" HDD x2 for samples and audio
ASUS Prime X299-A II, Socket-2066

The pc gives a overall good impression, really snappy..
Also pro tools runs fine, but the cpu usage is way to high.
I have done the standard windows optimizations.

I have to use asio4all since my interface still is in repairs, and I know this is not ideal for performance.

But when I load up NI action strings the cpu meter just stays at 100%
I am testing this at 64 samples. When I increase to 256 it is better of course. But it is not much better than my old i7 980X witch is 10 years old.... and that is really disapointing.
This pc was really expencive, almost 2800$, and if this is the performance I can expect I could have got a much cheaper pc..

I hope things will get better when I get my interface back, with a proper asio driver, but since its a Antelope OS 2017 I know the driver is a little.... not the best....

Anyone else got this cpu?
How is the performance?

Rossi
Old 07-29-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Re: i9 10920X

Have you done all the optimizations?

What RPM are those spinner hard drives?

Try putting a session on your NVMe drive. Frankly, I would have gotten a second one for sessions.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-29-2020, 12:04 PM

And try other VI plugins(maybe Kontact is the issue). My rig was acting really bad at one point(around 8 months ago) and I couldn't get it to run for beans, no matter what I tried. I finally gave up and reformatted the system drive(Samsung SSD) and reloaded everything fresh and its been running quite nice ever since. Did your new PC come with Windows already loaded? Did you buy from a company that specializes in audio machines?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-29-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Have you done all the optimizations?

What RPM are those spinner hard drives?

Try putting a session on your NVMe drive. Frankly, I would have gotten a second one for sessions.
I have done all optimizations on Avids list... The spinner drives are both 7200..
Like in my old pc.
I will try the session on the M2, thanks :)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
And try other VI plugins(maybe Kontact is the issue). My rig was acting really bad at one point(around 8 months ago) and I couldn't get it to run for beans, no matter what I tried. I finally gave up and reformatted the system drive(Samsung SSD) and reloaded everything fresh and its been running quite nice ever since. Did your new PC come with Windows already loaded? Did you buy from a company that specializes in audio machines?
Thanks... I actually had to reinstall twice today. I was installing the Mbox2 driver, and that made some severe damage to the windows installation, so no recovery method worked.
Installed again after the first reinstall and got the same result... really strange..

I have just installed pro tools again, so lets see what happens :)
No, I got the PC from the biggest online PC shop here in Norway. I dont know if "pro tools pc" delivers here... I might just return this pc and look for a better solution
Old 08-01-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi68 View Post
... I actually had to reinstall twice today...
Are you doing a clean install?
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...reformatted the system drive(Samsung SSD) and reloaded everything fresh and its been running quite nice ever since...
+1. For my rigs, I did a clean Win 10 install, with updated/current PTools & all drivers/plugs/etc ---> stable. Takes time but worth it.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-01-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
...its a Antelope OS 2017 I know the driver is a little.... not the best....
To troubleshoot, I'd try testing with some other interface.

All Windows updates? All plugs updated? Driver updates? Spyware? All AVID optimizations? Kill useless startup items? Uninstall all bloatware? Run CCleaner, including the reg cleaner? Go through Windows settings and turn off all useless stuff?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-01-2020, 10:08 AM

Are you comparing past behavior of an identical Pro Tools versions with identical plugins versions on the same Windows version? What did that do with CPU use as you decreased the buffer size? "not much better than" the old system... based on what a CPU meter is doing? Or other stuff? What exact CPU meter/metic are you looking at? What are you doing with that VI in the session? How many voices? How do you have NI configured/optimized itself?

So an OEM install of Windows, full of usual crapware? I would not assume that is a good idea to start with, just as a matter of principle I would get rid of that and do your own clean install. Ideally from a Microsoft installer, not an OEM recovery volume etc.

Get rid of/do not install any AV software. All plugins and apps need to be reinstalled from scratch using correct versions of installers, do not try to copy stuff off your old PC.

What sample rate are you running at? High CPU use is unlikely to be your new hardware and very likely just a software issue. Maybe just behaving as a particular plugin does on any CPU at that IO buffer size... have you tested the same on your old PC? I have no experience with NI strings...

Are you getting any AAE errors? Make sure ignore errors is not checked.

What problem were you trying to solve by upgrading this PC? Ignoring CPU meters does it do that?

And ultimately how small a IO buffer you can run a VI at is not simply about CPU performance, its very dependent on lots of stuff. Needs very careful optimization and setup, tuning of the VI, especially streaming vs caching samples etc. and you always have workflow choices, including freezing/committing tracks. And for systems optimization there make sure you get **everything** including BIOS c-state settings. Try with or without hypethreading. Try CPU priority tweaks discussed on DUC... but they are more for solving actual AAE errors, not for high apparent CPU burn.

And as others have commented spinning HDD for sessions and samples is not the best choice nowadays. You would even be better off getting a big single M.2 boot drive and putting sessions and samples on that fast one drive, than on much slow slower dedicated HDD. For now while testing make sure the session is fully cached, with disk cache set to a large enough size, not "normal" and the disk cache meter goes green before you start testing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-01-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
This pc was really expencive, almost 2800$, and if this is the performance I can expect I could have got a much cheaper pc.
I too thought my 14 core i9-7940x with 32GM RAM would be able to really outperform my old 6 core I7-970 with 12GB RAM rig but it doesn't.

Shure it's faster but it's not amazingly faster and there is no way I can set at forget the buffer size to 64 samples the way Im working. I run multiple VI's at 96K (don't freeze or bounce since I work with creating) and to be stable the buffer size must atleast be at 1024 when working @ 96k in Windows 10 Home.

I'm beginning to think no computer is fast enough to work at the lowest buffer size at 96k when working with multiple VI's.

Maby developers need to be making VI's and plugins much much more CPU friendly but still sounding great.
Or maby it's Windows 10 that's the problem. Still latency really s... and I often wish I had a zero latency recording device that would turn on instantly.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:27 AM

For VIs you may want to invest in Vienna Ensemble Pro.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction