Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Are you sending that clock signal to the Mac as well? If so - that would explain why you're not having any clock issues. As long as all devices are resolved to the same clock, you're all good.
Nope... I just think I haven't had enough time on it yet. I'm pretty familiar with clocking issues (tho' a little embarrassed that I overlooked it in my set up !!

Quote:
My method, if there are tracks in Logic you want to bring into Pro Tools, is just use the 'Export>All Tracks As Audio Files' in Logic, then import them into Pro Tools. Much faster than having to do a digital transfer.
This was my workflow previously, however, using DTDM & DAE certain tracks would not Export, but rather had to be bounced. It became quite a juggling act to keep up with what had been "exported" and what had been "bounced". Now that this current "sync" method uses Core Audio, "exporting all tracks" should (and I use that word HESITANTLY with Logic) make this do-able.

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Avid

Quote:
This was my workflow previously, however, using DTDM & DAE certain tracks would not Export, but rather had to be bounced. It became quite a juggling act to keep up with what had been "exported" and what had been "bounced". Now that this current "sync" method uses Core Audio, "exporting all tracks" should (and I use that word HESITANTLY with Logic) make this do-able.
Ah, I see - you were trying to export DAE tracks like that. Well, you can't. Only Core Audio tracks can be exported in that fashion.

Sometimes with DAE tracks in Logic, I'll just duplicate the track in Pro Tools - use the same audio file I used for the track in Logic and reload the same presets for any plug-ins used on that track. If there are a lot of them, though, bouncing them may be the best option - depends on what will be the quicker workflow.

If there are no plug-ins being used on the track, you could always convert the track type to Core Audio so that you can use the Export.. option.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Well, you can't.
Ohhhh..... REEEAAAALLLLLLYYY ???
(sorry, couldn't pass that one up!! )

Quote:
If there are no plug-ins being used on the track, you could always convert the track type to Core Audio so that you can use the Export.. option.
Yeah, this was what I ended up doing... but it took me a while to figure it out.
It's really quite a lesson in humility to go back to being a "newbie" on something after being very comfortable using PT.

Good for the ego (or lack thereof...)!!

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 08-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

Default sync

Quote:
Digilogin - can you try a test for me? I want to verify that Pro Tools is sending MTC down the IAC bus.

In Pro Tools go to Session>Setup and keep that window open.

Then go to Setup>Peripherals and choose the IAC Bus in both the MTC Reader and Generator ports. Close the Peripherals window and press play in Pro Tools - does the Incoming Time in the upper right of the Session Setup window scroll?

If it's scrolling, that's good. To double verify that it's indeed working correctly, try changing the MTC Reader port to something else, like a MIDI interface port. If you press play and it no longer scrolls, we'll know for sure that Pro Tools is sending MTC down the IAC bus and we'll have to look at settings in Logic for the actual problem with sync....
hello,

i tried it, and there was initially some sort of discrepancy with the name of the port which corrected itself somehow. so now it is working, kind of.

there are some issues with the playback speed of the VIs. both sessions are 192khz sessions. with logic set to "mtc continuous" the VIs play back at 1/4 speed [and 1/4 pitch] it seems to like any of the other settings better, such as "external / free", and then the VIs and sequence appear to play at proper pitch and speed. howeer, i note that the "sample rate" and "deviation" sliders in logic are at -10 and
-40, respectively. could that be due to the 29.97 frame rate?

also, fyi, the interface i am using for logic is an x-station, and it really only supports 48khz [but always seems to play back any of the higher sample rates also]. perhaps that has something to do with the slow audio when "mtc continuous" is selected. i will try the setup with 48khz sessions later [or perhaps 96khz while using the computer's internal audio].

finally, the pro tools tempo control does not seem to have any effect on the tempo of the logic session. is that just how it is, or is there something else to consider?

i do seem to remember something in the logic manual that talked about some feature that would nol be supported by pro tools until version 7.4. maybe it was the tdm option? just mentioning it in case it is relevant.

please let me know your thoughts on this, particularly with regard to the speed discrepancy.

thanks.

digilom
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
there are some issues with the playback speed of the VIs. both sessions are 192khz sessions. with logic set to "mtc continuous" the VIs play back at 1/4 speed [and 1/4 pitch] it seems to like any of the other settings better, such as "external / free", and then the VIs and sequence appear to play at proper pitch and speed. howeer, i note that the "sample rate" and "deviation" sliders in logic are at -10 and
-40, respectively. could that be due to the 29.97 frame rate?
There's a couple things this could be. Is there a reason you're using 192k in the first place (just out of curiousity)? MTC continuous means it's continually looking at the MTC signal and 'interpreting' the speed from that. It may be inadequate when used at higher sample rates.

Is your Pro Tools session at 192k? If so, and your X-Station only supports sample rates up to 48k, there's not much you can do in this case, other than switch to a 48k sample rate in Pro Tools and connect a digital cable (I'm not sure what the X-Station has available) between your Digi HW and the X-Station and set Audio Sync Mode to 'external'. This will keep the clocks for your interfaces locked and samples should play back fine.

If it's working like that in the current config, then I'd go with that.

Now that I think about it, having that set to 'external' would probably be the correct way to configure this, since you want all your interfaces clocked to the same source clock. MTC Continuous just does an 'interpretation' based on the incoming MTC code and would be subject to drift. I'll correct that in my initial post.

Quote:
finally, the pro tools tempo control does not seem to have any effect on the tempo of the logic session. is that just how it is, or is there something else to consider?
That's how it is - you're sync'ing these via MTC, which does not transmit tempo information. You have to manually set the tempo in both Logic and Pro Tools.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docric View Post

Here goes:
1) Create project in either PT or Logic. Define Tempo, Key, Time Sig., and Arrangement, including song markers.

2) Create a Midi Type 0 file from this session and either IMPORT it into PT OR OPEN IT in L8 to create an identical session in the other DAW.
I've had better luck setting out the song-form in Logic and importing it into ProTools. If you just open the midi file in Logic you have to go through the nightmare of importing your other autoload elements into that. Trick: make sure you don't have any markers in your PT session before you import from the midi file, or the markers won't show up when you import.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:

I saw that post and want to point out that there's at least one thing missing from this setup - f you're sending optical out from the Mac to your Digi interface, you either need to have Pro Tools clocked to the digital input you're using OR you need to connect an output from your Digi interface back to the Mac and make sure the Mac is set to 'external' for clock source, otherwise you may get glitches/pops when monitoring.
Sorry I didn't get into the audio part of that before. It was enough info just dealing with the sequence location sync!

Yes you've got to slave the clocks or you get cracklies. I'm sending the Logic soft-synth audio out of a pair of old MOTU 828's via ADAT into a Legacy ADAT bridge.

Also the beauty of sending the MMC back from Logic into PT (while sending MTC the other direction) is that you can control the transport from either app. Start it in PT, switch apps while playing, stop it in Logic, and vice-versa. Also when you're stopped in Logic and you use any go-to commands (back a bar, to the last starting-point, whatever), you can set up Logic to send those locations to PT, so that you can start or stop from wherever from both DAW's. It really becomes a great monster app containing the best of both worlds from each platform.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 AM

Hey Bash,
Thanks again for all the info you've posted on this. It's great
when folks are open about sharing tips/tricks with others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I've had better luck setting out the song-form in Logic and importing it into ProTools. If you just open the midi file in Logic you have to go through the nightmare of importing your other autoload elements into that. Trick: make sure you don't have any markers in your PT session before you import from the midi file, or the markers won't show up when you import.
That's funny,, b/c I've found it to work best the exact opposite way... I'll set up the session in PT (more familiarity with it), then save it to a midi Type 0 file, then open that file as a project in Logic and rename it. All of my markers, tempo, time sig., key, etc... info. shows up just fine.

I'm working with L8.0.2 & PT 7.4.2.
Are you on an older version where this is NOT occurring?

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docric View Post
Hey Bash,
Thanks again for all the info you've posted on this. It's great
when folks are open about sharing tips/tricks with others...

That's funny,, b/c I've found it to work best the exact opposite way... I'll set up the session in PT (more familiarity with it), then save it to a midi Type 0 file, then open that file as a project in Logic and rename it. All of my markers, tempo, time sig., key, etc... info. shows up just fine.

I'm working with L8.0.2 & PT 7.4.2.
Are you on an older version where this is NOT occurring?
Yes I can open a midi file in Logic. It's more the issue of having my autoload come up the way I want it. I have a lot of auxes set up a certain way with some softsynths ready to go in my autoload template. I think if you load a raw midi file in Logic you get a very barebones setup. You can drag parts into another sequence, and you can copy and paste marker and tempo lists, but I find that since I'm usually finding tempos and laying out the forms in Logic first that it makes sense to go the other direction. Importing what I need into ProTools in this case is just one simple step compared to importing into Logic. There's always quirks, of course, but I'm used to them now.

This also gets back to the overall ease of importing session data in ProTools, and is one of the reasons I still want PT as my "main" front end. I can roughly divide my ProTools tracks into two categories: my music tracks and my mixer tracks (general routing through auxes and stem organization). "Import session data" lets me pull whatever "mixer" tracks I have into any other sequence. In Logic, I still haven't found a slick way to do that that covers all my bases in the same way.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Yes I can open a midi file in Logic. It's more the issue of having my autoload come up the way I want it. I have a lot of auxes set up a certain way with some softsynths ready to go in my autoload template.
Sorry man, my ignorance of L8 terms once again showing through!

Quote:
but I find that since I'm usually finding tempos and laying out the forms in Logic first that it makes sense to go the other direction.
I'm obviously still a novice to Logic, so I do all this in PT. Just the fact that I've got 8-9 yrs into PT (3 months into Logic) and there's currently not much demand for work in Logic here at the studio (hoping to change that, though) means that I'll probably keep using it for it's "basics" (great instruments and usable loops) for quite a while.

Quote:
the overall ease of importing session data in ProTools, and is one of the reasons I still want PT as my "main" front end..."Import session data" lets me pull whatever "mixer" tracks I have into any other sequence.
This is a main piece of PT's functionality that I'd find it hard to live without.

Thanks man!

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad