Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Digi 002 or Mackie MCU Surface Control?

Going one way or the other in 2 days. The Digi has complete control doesn't it? Whereas the Mackie has things left out, like plug-in control?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 or Mackie MCU Surface Control?

Get an 002R and a Command/8
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 02-15-2005, 02:19 AM

I don't have an Mackie MCU, but I do have a D8B & HDR, they wet all over pro-tools IMHO.

I have an 002 running PT6.4 on a Carrilon Core 2 spec PC that I sync with my HDR/D8B sucessfully (for over a year), I would NEVER record direct to PT due to the highly annoying latency which affects your performance immensly & puts you on a downer before you even start, not to mention all the other bugs they give you to find yourself (look at the software revisions of each manufacturer & you'll see who keeps missing things out ).

PT LE is OK for mixing & very flexible if you can get it working smoothly, it's just awful for tracking & processor drain. Midi programming is good if you get something decent like Reason to re-wire in........ but then you might as well just use Reason .

I wish I could turn back the clock & buy an MCU with a different DAW like Nuendo or Logic, I hate Pro-Tools LE with a passion.

Stag
Old 02-15-2005, 03:32 AM

Quote:

I hate Pro-Tools LE with a passion.

Stag
Then your post was nothing more than a waste.
He asked about the controllers not PT LE

The HUI is still the best non-digi controller because it covers so many control aspects.
The MC uses the HUI proto but still doesn't have the extensive control that the HUI offers.
The 002 or Command doesen't offer as much control as a real HUI BUT they do offer the ability to flip the plug end control to the faders.
The HUI lets you flip the sends to the faders but not the plugs because it has a dedicated section for for contolling and selecting plugs.
IMHO unless you as some who is use to working on the C24 of HUI the Command 8 (or 002) will work well for you. The intergration to PT is pretty good even though it does miss some features of the bigger units.
Funny thing, one of the things I don't like about the Commmand is actually one of it's selling points; the small foot print.
It's just to small for my liking, felt the same way about a MC with out extenders.
I prefer to feel like I'm sitting at a mixer.