Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2001, 10:28 AM

Default Re: A very important discussion re: iLok - please read

Well, you may be able to use it all over, but the software license you agree to when you install it states quit clearly that its for use on one machine only. and is nopt to ne shared lloaned or distributed. The reason I point this out is not to prvent you form using it, I'm pointing out the fallacy of the ilok system. the promiss of portability, and the reality of software license. Yeah Im sure you got it all figured out -save it.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:47 AM

Portability certainly *is* an option. most software licenses that I know of limit the user to use on one machine * at a time*. Hence when your machine breaks down, you don't need a new license to start working on another one. Likewise, when you move from studio to studio, you are absolutely within your rights to use the software wherever you go - one computer at a time I-Lok could facilitate this.

Malcolm
Old 05-29-2001, 09:37 PM

Sorry if my responses seem touchy, there not. I'm trying to be clear on this portable license idea. And actually I did review the Bf demo license again. And my statement reflects that wording. I think the my point has been taken the wrong way. I'm not saying that physically you cant move the ilok around and use it wherever you please, you certainly can. The point was and is, that regardless of weather you can move it around, the license suggests that your not supposed to. It's one of those, we all do it, but it not entirly legal kind of things, like speeding. Is that correct?

I wonder, could a freelance engineer, have all his/ or her licenses stored on the ilok, show up for work and just install them and off they go working? or does the softwre installation need to originate on the machine its to be used on?
Or maybe the studio has thier own set of plugs, but if an engineer or producer had them on his or her ilok they can use them even if thier in use elseware in the studio?
I guess youll all find out one way or another. Me I cant afford em, why am I here? LOL Peace out!

Old 05-30-2001, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KamaSutra77:
I'm pointing out the fallacy of the ilok system. the promiss of portability, and the reality of software license. Yeah Im sure you got it all figured out -save it.

Touchy, touchy, touchy, aren't we.

Can't we have a discussion without getting ticked off or making it kinda personal? Given that you haven't read or reviewed (as you admitted) the current software licenses for the v2 BF that supports iLok, nor have you spoken to any of the plug in makers that support iLok, I do find it peculiar that you object to this point. Look on the bombfactory website, it's duplicated there as well - www.bombfactory.com - I guess you already know that as you downloaded their demos.

Peace, and lets stay on topic.