Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-31-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools & Internet on same computer,good or

The phobia of internet and audio on the same computer is leftover from the days of OS 7-9. Email readers, constantly downloading email in general, would cause greater fragmentation (data pertaining to a file scattered in multiple sections of the hard drive). The more scattered the data became on the drive, the more scattered the audio had to become to have a place to reside. This is yet another reason it was best to dedicate a drive to recorded audio. OSX handles things completely different and fragmentation hasn't been as great an issue, although some users still feel a need to watch for it.

As for conflicts, this also has greatly changed (if not altogether disappeared) in recent times. As far back as OS 9, many users had no conflicts with internet extensions and audio applications. In fact, there was a time around PT 5.2 that internet was a requirement to use Digistudio (or whatever the Rocket Network based service was called).

FWIW, I've used IE and Safari. Safari shows promise. IE is junk and requires a separate program like Outlook Express to handle email. But Netscape Navigator smokes them both in features and performance. Even with a cable modem, Netscape is faster and more stable, IMHO. It even comes with Composer for basic but useful webpage creation. I have yet to find a site that it doesn't access.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:31 AM

I am new here and have wondered what FWIW means?...
Old 04-04-2004, 11:35 AM

My Opinion, For What Its Worth, (FWIW) is the internet connection should be off dirunig tracking to make sure no pop-ups appear but during mixing pose no slow down of the system. Beware of viruses and remove spyware as often as necessary.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 04-04-2004, 12:39 PM

I have always had internet going while using any program on my G4's, including PTLE. There's no reason to turn it off just to run an application.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:37 PM

Another advantage to an external Firewire HD is its speed. I have a Ti-Book 667, and an M-Box, and do occasionally work on my internal drive, with the sessions on a separate partition, but a fast external HD is better. I just got a 2X2G G5 with 2HDs, and the power is incredible compared to its little brother Ti !!
aip
Old 04-04-2004, 06:39 PM

so since i don't have an external drive yet, it would probably be good to partition my drive and have the pro tools software on one section and the files i make with pro tools on another section?...

So, essentially it would be simulating using a separate drive for the software and the files right?...

Old 04-04-2004, 06:50 PM

you said, not to install any norton antivirus stuff, just to run it from disc?....I'm not 100% sure what that means?...don't you need an antivirus program to be on all the time when your on the net?...so putting the software disk in everytime would be kinda tedious wouldn't it?....

please excuse me if i am way off, i'm new n stuff...LOL ha ha
Old 06-24-2004, 01:39 PM

Hi. Is anyone using the Earthlink High Speed Internet from Time Warner Cable thing(btw, is this considered DSL)? Is it trouble free? I am still rather hesitant about having a non-stop high speed Internet connection while running PTools. Any info would help. Thanks.