Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt - end user experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthm View Post
Gentlemen,

Shouldn't this thread be in the Third Party Interfaces section? Can it be moved there? Not sure how that works.

There should be an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt appreciation thread in the Third Party Interfaces sub-forum. We can talk about track count on different Mac setups, any issues, etc.

Have you guys noticed that there are only 4 threads total about the Ensemble Thunderbolt, if you search the DUC (since late 2014)? I thought there would be more interest in the ET!

So, can this thread be moved to the Third Party Interfaces section or should I start a new one? Let me know!
This thread is perfectly fine here. Not everybody runs just PT and the subforum you're talking about is using 3rd party interfaces with PT. Also having multiple threads on the same subject by the same thread starter is a no-no (against the TOS). A lot of times when that happens the threads get consolidated into one thread anyways. Where that happens is up to the moderators.

QAPLA!
Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This thread is perfectly fine here. Not everybody runs just PT and the subforum you're talking about is using 3rd party interfaces with PT.
But the Ensemble Thunderbolt is a Third Party Interface and this is a Pro Tools forum, so I don't get what you're talking about.

I think the Ensemble Thunderbolt is an important machine that needs to be supported and studied more by its Pro Tools users.

Why should talk about the ET be buried in a random sub-forum like this one?

I frequently visit the Third Party Interfaces sub-forum hoping to find a thread about the ET, but there's nothing ever there which is kind of ridiculous for such a cutting edge product (IMO).

So why shouldn't this thread be moved to where I think it simply belongs?

And if it cannot be moved, would it be ok if I started a thread like "Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Performance and Tips", in the correct sub-forum?
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:33 PM

So are there any users of this?

How does the lowest buffer settings work? as good as HDN? Better?
Is the rewrite of the driver as great as Apogee claims?
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthm View Post
But the Ensemble Thunderbolt is a Third Party Interface and this is a Pro Tools forum, so I don't get what you're talking about.

I think the Ensemble Thunderbolt is an important machine that needs to be supported and studied more by its Pro Tools users.

Why should talk about the ET be buried in a random sub-forum like this one?

I frequently visit the Third Party Interfaces sub-forum hoping to find a thread about the ET, but there's nothing ever there which is kind of ridiculous for such a cutting edge product (IMO).

So why shouldn't this thread be moved to where I think it simply belongs?

And if it cannot be moved, would it be ok if I started a thread like "Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Performance and Tips", in the correct sub-forum?
What I'm talking about is the forum you want this thread moved to is about using third party interfaces with PT ONLY. As I said a lot of people don't just use PT but other daws as well. And those people might not find that other forum. So it's perfectly fine here.

Now if you want to start a completely different thread about the Apogee Enesmble in your chosen forum that's fine. What I said was it's against the TOS to have two identical threads in different subforums. Say you start a thread here and have an identical thread in another subforum - that's a no-no.

QAPLA!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 AM

First of all, hello everyone, I believe this is my first post in this forum :)

As for the Ensemble...
I have been using Apogee Ensemble as my only interface since 2008.
I did not upgrade to thunderbolt version.. mine is still the firewire one.
I am totally new to PT, I may not have exact answers you are looking for, but I can share my experience so far...
I got PT with the purchase of Eleven Rack...
When I use 11R as the interface in PT, all INs and OUTs are nicely labeled by default... (Guitar In / Mic In, Eleven Rig L/R, etc...)
This is not the case with Ensemble... All I/O shows simply a Input 1, Input 2, etc...
I'm not too familiar with PT's settings but I would assume it is possible to define/assign custom labels to all those I/O, but then again, I've been using mine for so long that I know what is connected to what I/O without really thinking about it :)

So far, I had absolutely no issues at all recording in PT using my Ensemble.
I mainly record guitars via (now) Eleven Rack connected to Line In in Ensemble or directly to Hi-Z input in the front.
I don't remember on top of my head what buffer settings I use, but I have not changed them specifically for PT.

Someone in this thread mentioned something about noise... in my case there is no noise at all coming from Ensemble on any output.
This device is really solid, and (knock on the wood) trouble free for me for the past 8 years :)

I do realize this may not be exact answer to your question... this is just my 2 cents :)

Chris.

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack
Old 04-20-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horns-Up View Post
This is not the case with Ensemble... All I/O shows simply a Input 1, Input 2, etc...
I'm not too familiar with PT's settings but I would assume it is possible to define/assign custom labels to all those I/O, but then again, I've been using mine for so long that I know what is connected to what I/O without really thinking about it :)
Right click and choose rename or go to the I/O setup window and name them as you wish. Once done, export it as an I/O setup so it can be recalled whenever needed in the future.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Right click and choose rename or go to the I/O setup window and name them as you wish. Once done, export it as an I/O setup so it can be recalled whenever needed in the future.
SWEET :) Thanks for the info Drew... Will do that.

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack