Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Any tips on using Beat Detective to line a defective shaker up to a drum track?

hello!! what i would do is use beat detective to
cut the shakers and tambs....set it on a low setting so it just gets the transient peaks and cut...then move the tamb/shaker channel between the kick and snare and in shuffle mode..going between 1 and 10 ms increments ..move the blocks while visually referencing the kick and snare and MORE IMPORTANTLY using the EARS so that It's feels good!!!!!!!!!!
then use beat detective to heal and crossfade...Voila!!!!!!!

only when it is too wide against kick or snare to be fixed come back at the very end and replace sections....eg.. a bar or where there is loud grunting noises from the percussionist..

alternatively...get some JACK ASHFORD loops!!!

good luck
Old 03-02-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Any tips on using Beat Detective to line a defective shaker up to a drum track?

AAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

i can't believe i said 'SHUFFLE MODE"...the dreaded shuffle mode...........I meant using the plus and minus keys..not SHUFFLE MODE.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and relax............aaghhhhhh

ps..i would like to request a new feature....DISABLE SHUFFLE MODE
Old 03-02-2003, 02:26 PM

AAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

i can't believe i said 'SHUFFLE MODE"...the dreaded shuffle mode...........I meant using the plus and minus keys..not SHUFFLE MODE.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and relax............aaghhhhhh

ps..i would like to request a new feature....DISABLE SHUFFLE MODE
Old 03-02-2003, 02:28 PM

see!!!!!!

shuffle mode can make me CRAZY!!!

i can't stop posting!!!!!!!!!!

help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 12:32 AM

Default Any tips on using Beat Detective to line a defective shaker up to a drum track?

Hi,
I have a drum track, not done to a click. I have a shaker and tamborine track, which are less than tight to the drum track.

I was wondering if any one had advice or tips on how to use beat detective 5.x to line the shaker up to the drum track.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2003, 02:37 PM

or as a more novel approach, close the BD window and find someone who can actually play the instrument and try again! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 10:23 AM

For a shaker or tambourine, I would also just try to re-record the parts It's one thing to fix drums that are recorded across several tracks, but for little percussion stuff just throw up a mic and try again. You'll probably spend more time editing trying to get the thing right. This way you can at least just play it through a section at a time.

Dave
Old 03-18-2003, 10:32 AM

Find the best 2 to 4 bar loop and loop it. Beat Detective doesn't work so hot on shakers/tambourines....really sucks the life outta them...regardless of "swing" factor.