Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Default Re: How do you transfer ADAT tapes to a Pro Tools 8.0 session

^^^^yeahppp^^^^ that is if u want to record anything...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtknight View Post
Hi Brad,

Thank you very much for the instructions! I will be able test it out by the end of the week. One last question, do I have to enable the record button on each track before I hit "PLAY"?

John
No, unless you are okay with doing all of this and not recording anything at all
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM

Wow that was very intensive
Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Ok, I finally got to try these directions...and unfortunately they didnt work. Pro Tools did activate the ADAT machine to play but I didnt hear any sound coming through the speakers even though the volume meters on the ADAT were moving up and down. I did notice is that the time clock on the ADAT and the MOTU were matched up perfectly. However, the time on the Pro Tools transport/the Pro Tools time bar didn't match to the ADAT and MOTU.

I am not sure if this post is going to find Brad, but it looks like that these are the directions for an older version of Pro Tools. I am trying to do this with Pro Tools 8.0 and Digi 002 and a MOTU AV USB. My understanding is that the ""Peripherals" and "Hardware" screens from the menu bar have changed over the years. Some of the directions did match up to what I viewed on the screen.

Oh and the reason why it took me so long to finally try the directions is because my ADAT machine died a couple of months ago while I was trying to calibrate it I finally got my hands on another well taken care of ADAT machine

Trying to get my last couple of toes out of the stone age.

John
Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM

I see all, know all, and read all....that's how I knew this post was here. Now pardon me while I go hide before getting struck down with lightning :) What was the part that didn't work? And is this John T from NYC? If so, this Brad from Sweetwater...
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Hi Brad,

Wow, I am amazed this post found you real quick, and thank you for responding. Yes this is John T from NYC. I am not sure what didnt work or what I missed. I could try to write up what I did exactly, but let me know if it would be easier to go over this over the phone. Either way, once this process is figured out, I would mind typing it all out and putting on the forum. I am surprised that these instructions arent already out there especially because ADATs were the norm for most of the 90s.

John
Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM

Ok, so I did a little digging and some chance taking. And finally last night, I figured it out. What I needed to do is record enable all of the 8 tracks, clicked on the clock in the transport bar, pressed record then play, and it started to bring in the tracks.

One of the issues I had was getting the ADAT to start a few seconds before the 1st song began. So what I "found" under Preferences, and then under the Synchronization were two unchecked boxes.
1.Machine chases memory location
2.Machine follows edit Insertion scrub

I checked both of them and then got out of the menu. Now when I moved my time marker with my mouse, the ADAT machine would activate (rewind, forward) and meet it spot on. I noticed if I set the marker 2 or 3 seconds after zero seconds, and performed recording steps above, the transfer always worked and was in total sync!
All I had to then do is put the next couple of tapes and do the same thing to record on tracks 8 through 24. Everything came out in perfect.

I also noticed that the instructions Brad gave were based on an older version of Pro Tools.

Here is my update:
With regards to using ProTools 8.0,
1. Go to the SETUP menu > Peripherals
a) On the Synchronization page, set the first line as "MIDI timepiece AV, Sync port" and the following line as "MIDI timepiece AV AllCables
b) On the Machine Control page of Peripherals window, click ENABLE and set Send to = MIDI timepiece AV, AllCables. ID = 127.

2. Go to the SETUP menu > Hardware
a) Set clock to Optical
b) Set digital input to ADAT

Some Tips
1 - I prefer to keep the SESSION START time at 00:00:00:00. Changing the session start time may end up cutting the first few seconds of the first song. I will be experimenting with this some more as I transfer the songs further on my ADAT tapes.

2 - Something I noticed is that when I set the time maker to zero seconds, this forces the machine to rewind to the tape at zero seconds or even in the negative where there is no data. I noticed that the ADAT machine gets lost and start fast forwarding probably because it was in the negative/no data zone. I am going to evaluate this some more.

3 - Sometimes the Pro Tools clock will revert back to internal. As a result, you will hear popping due to the fact that the Pro Tools clock not being aligned to the MOTU. I am not sure why this happens. But the fact that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't means to me that it could simply be that the computer itself might not have enough processing power to align the clocks all at that particular moment. After all you have lightpipe going from the ADAT to the Digi 002 and a USB cable going from the MOTU to the computer. I find that if this keeps happening, the best thing to do is just close out the Pro Tools file and reopen it. I also changed my hardware setting to accept more latency in order to give give Pro Tools more processing time. Anyone have any ideas on this?? I am gonna call MOTU and see if they can offer any advice on why this happens and if there is something that can prevent this from happening.

John T
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM

I did something similar once with a Roland Digital Recorder and my Mbox. I used MTC to control the Roland and "recorded" 2 tracks at a time via SPDIF. Thank goodness the recorder had only been used for some basic 2-6 track demos. Don't wanna think about transporting 24 tracks per song that way. And it really wouldn't have been that hard once I got the MTC working. Just would've taken a lot of passes. FWIW I've always figured if I ever need more tracks than my 002 could handle I could use the recorder linked via MTC to add more. Sometimes "old" tech can still be very useful. :)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:59 PM

After having gone through both Brad and Jtknight's advices carefully step by step for two days now I'm still coming up with a complete zero. I know the thread's kind of old now but I hope someone can help.

The only difference between my setup and Jtknight's seems to be the audio interface and the number of ADATs. I'm using a ProFire2626 and I have two ADATs but I've tried everything using the two ADATs and also one ADAT at a time.

I think Pro Tools and ADAT are somewhat synced because when I click somewhere in the timeline in PT the ADATs fast forward to match it and if I return to zero in PT the ADATs rewind to match whatever session start time offset that I chose in Setup>Session. But if I click play or record PT just hangs there with the stop button turning blue.

I've followed every step except one which is:
>2. Go to the SETUP menu > Hardware
>a) Set clock to Optical
>b) Set digital input to ADAT

I can't follow this exactly because the audio interfaces are different but I've done pretty much the same by enabling both Optical A and B in the input channel and setting the sync source to optical port A.

I hope someone can help me with this setup or an alternative. I also own a BRC that I took out of the equation because it tends to mess with the word clock.

Thanx in advance