Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Default Re: MacBookPro 17\" w/Magma CB2 new test results...

Any problems with the Magma chassis being noisy? I'm interested in taking the Magma route but I don't want to replace my G5 with a noisy solution...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM

I just got a new Magma (4-slot pericom). The fan that came with it is indeed loud. Whines at about 6K, so not only is it loud, but it creates a nice little "room tone" for ya :P

Simple solution is to just get a quieter fan. I replaced mine with an 80mm silencer fan. Had to take the whole thing apart to install which took about 30 minutes, but now it's quieter than my MacG5.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...=9dbPapst.html

I think some of the bigger Magmas use 120mm, so be sure to measure yours before you order.

Good luck!

-Jamey
IMDB
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Any news from anybody on RTAS performance? That will be the deciding factor for me.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM

I believe there is something wrong with RTAS plugs, or RTAS implementation in general. I just tried the AU and VST versions of the RTAS plugs I have and got an overwhelmingly different response. For example, using Logic 8.01 on the same machine, with the TDM hardware through the same Magma chassis, I was able to load 70 (!!!!!!) Ozone plugs, turn all processing on for each instantiated Ozone plug (Ozone has 6 processing units inside the 1 plug in: Paragraphic EQ, Mastering Reverb, Loudness Maximizer, Multiband Harmonic exciter, Multiband Dynamics, and Multiband Stereo Imaging), set them all on digital instead of analog type processing, which consumes more DSP. With all this running, and only after 70 plug ins, I was able to peg the CPU meter for one of the two CPUs of my MacBook Pro! I still have the other core to play with...

This type of difference in performance is dramatic! I can't seem to get one Ozone RTAS to play nicely in my PT TDM. (Granted, it is still an unsupported system, but...) BTW, I was able to see this difference in performance with other plugs as well. I also got similar results with the MAS version of the plug in in Digital Performer. I remember that I was having problems running Ozone RTAS on my PT HD3, dual 1.6Ghz, 2.0Gb RAM PowerMac, which was a supported system. At that time, i figured it could be the plug in implementation... Now I'm really baffled... it's just too great of a difference.

Anyone seeing huge differences between RTAS and AU, VST, or MAS implementations of plug ins? Specially, the high use of CPU power for RTAS? Is this also happening with the supported versions of PT on Leopard? (MacPros 8 cores with 10.5.1)

It would be interesting if someone that has a supported system (MacPro 8core, 10.5.1) runs some tests and compares how many RTAS vs AU, VST, or MAS instantiations they can get before saturating the CPU.

MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz, Penryn, 4Gb RAM, 10.5.2
Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 AM

Haven't had a chance to put it through serious paces (including RTAS performance) but Macbook Pro 2.2 with OS 10.5.1 and Protools 7.4cs3 with an HD2 PCIx in a Magma 4 slot chassis working solidly.

Still missing Ampfarm, Echofarm, and Virus Indigo. Xpand graphics are weird, and Lowender crashes Protools...
Old 03-30-2008, 03:13 AM

Just a small update (though interest seems to be dying on this thread). Macbook Pro duo core 2.2Ghz + OS X 10.5.1 + Magma 4slot + Protools 7.4.1 + HD2 Accel = works great (when it works) and RTAS seems to be running smoothly as well....

but

Having a little trouble changing the DAE settings. This seems to have something to do with the Mac allocating RAM to the DAE, so when I make changes I get a DAE error and Protools quits. I have to delete all preferences with the handy delete tool, shut down EVERYTHING including the chassis and interface, and restart Even this is a little flakey/black magic/voodoo...
Old 03-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Re: MacBookPro & Magma new test results...

new (refurbed) MBP 2.6G Intel Core duo w/2G ram. 7200rpm 200G.
7.4cs2
Magma 2 slot (CB264) w/Core & Accel
42 tracks PB from one FW400
prolly 48 Waves plugs

running well so far.

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

Miles Davis
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 AM

Hey any change you tried PT8 on this combo yet?
I am also trying to figure out if the 2 slot would work on a MacPro??
Would be nice to switch between MacBookPro and MacPro when needed. Still running my HD2 Accel on a G5 but need to move on.
Way back I used to switch between my 9600 and my Pismo on a 4slot Magma with Mix4 installed without a lot of problems.
And also what are the known limitations of running a 2slot with a HD2 Accell on a MacPro as opposed to running HD2 PCIe inside the machine?
Sorry for all the questions but I have been a bit out of touch with the Magma thing for a while now.
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 AM

haven't bothered w/PT8.
dunno about the 2 slot w/MP, but I'd bet Jill or Ariel at Magma would have some info.

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

Miles Davis
Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 AM

I just installed PT 8 + OS 10.5.5 on a new drive. I opened a 7.4 session with no problems, but haven't put it through it's paces yet. Must get back to work on a project in 7.4. Will report back soon...