Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-07-2003, 07:14 PM

Default ProTools 6.1.1 won\'t play ~ Help!

I have recently upgraded to PT 6.1.1 (running on WinXP) with a Digi002. I love the system, and once over my inital teething problems had no trouble with 5.3.2. However with 6.1.1 I have an intermittent problem going into Play (or Record). It will play or record eventually, after a dozen or so attempts at hitting the play button or space bar (etc). What happens is, I hit play, and the the play icon in the transport window highlights for a second and then goes to stop. It just won't start up. I feel it is a buffer issue of sorts.

I have tried changing buffer settings, turning off low latency monitoring, and seems to improve it a little, but not enough to make using it in a session viable.

Any ideas as to waht the problem could be? Remember, all was working beautifully with 5.3.2, so i believe I have a machine that is well capable, and according to the specs on the Digidesign site.

I have selected 'No Paging file' in the Virtual memory.

Thanks. I am supposed to record a session tonight.. gulp.

Problem 2:
I am using a dynamic desk mic as a talkback, going through an input in ProTools. For some reason the mic keeps muting, even in the middle of using it, however, there is no mute indication. It's as if it gates the audio, and switches the input off without PT being aware of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Geoff

Old 12-07-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Re: ProTools 6.1.1 won\'t play ~ Help!

Next time you hit play, have the task manager open to processes. ( right click the taskbar and select task manager). PT will be shown with the amount of RAM being used. It will slowly move up to 300-400M - and then it will play. You don't have to hit play more than once. From that time on, if you don't change applications, PT should play almost immediately. If your playback DAE buffer is set to higher than 2, this will also slow down play.

I don't know how to get PT to load into RAM faster and avoid the delay. Any help would be appreciated.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 12-07-2003, 08:16 PM

Thanks Cliff. I have rebooted and had PT running for about 10mins, and still not more than 200,000k Mem Usage, according to Task Manager. Do you think that's a problem? How does one increase it?

Thanks,
Geoff

Old 12-07-2003, 11:16 PM

Did you have any tracks record armed when you had this problem? Have you set your Open Ended Record Allocation preference to something closer to 10 minutes?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-07-2003, 11:28 PM

Hi Rail,

I had only one audio track in the project, and it was the one I was trying to record the voice over. I did eventually get the track recorded, thanks to a very patient talent.

I had set the audio session to 1 hour. I guess I can try something shorter, but shouldn't have to, from my experience with 5.3.2.

Thanks
Geoff
Old 12-07-2003, 11:30 PM

To make sure we're both on the same page.. I'm not talking about the Session Length preference.. I'm talking about the Operation preference for Open Ended Record Allocation.

I personally disagree with having no paging file.. how much physical RAM do you have? Also is the drive you were recording to a separate physical drive than your system drive?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-08-2003, 09:44 PM

Yes, it was the preference for the Open Ended Record Allocation that I set to 90mins (not 1 hour, as I previously thought). I have 1Gb ram, and yes, I was recording to a drive that is separate from the system drive.

Thanks,
Geoff