Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Default Tiger or Leopard?

I'm currently running PT 6.9 LE on my machine listed below....my plan was to get Tiger OS and then install 7.1...which I have on disc, then 7.3 which I also have...then if all went well I'd give 7.4 a go....but then I thought maybe I should buy Leopard instead of Tiger.
Now I've read this:
"At this time, Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools M-Powered systems are not yet compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 ("Leopard"), but please be assured that we are committed to bringing Leopard support to you as quickly as we can. We are currently working very closely with Apple in order to ensure that when the fully compatible versions of Pro Tools LE and M-Powered are released, they’ll adhere to the same levels of performance and stability that you have come to rely on day in and day out. We understand your frustration and apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause, but we ask that you please bear with us and wait to upgrade your OS until we announce compatibility. Thanks for your patience.

As always, we appreciate your ongoing support and will do our best to get you up and running on the latest Mac platforms as quickly and reliably as possible."

....but I just had the thought of maybe waiting awhile and then getting Leopard after it's working properly. Why wate $100.00+ dollars to buy an older OS that I'll have no way of upgrading. Plus I'd get support from Apple. Hummm.....is anyone actually using Leopard on an older PPC like mine and find it works?
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Tiger or Leopard?

Goth, I'm not sure if this answers your question, but my music tech lab where I teach recently got upgraded to Leopard. Since we use MBoxes, I partitioned the hard drives and put Tiger on a 25GB partition. This way, we swap startup disks (in system preferences) and run P/T while leaving Leopard alone for now. Be sure you select the "option" button in disk utilities when you partition , and then select the "Apple Partition" option so your HD will work.