Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaudio View Post
...there's an error (I hope?) in the "What's new in Pro Tools 12" doc..."For example, when assigning a stereo source to a 5.1 Output bus, the left channel of the source is mapped directly to the left channel of the Output path and the right channel of the source is mapped directly to the left channel of the Output path..."
(Halfway through first paragraph on page 10)
Thanks for finding and reporting this error. I'll contact Tech Pubs about this.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 PM

Nicely picked up Jeffro. Avid could do with more like you sir!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 06-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Hey, wait! Maybe it isn't an error. I bet that there are about as many PT users clamoring for a mono mix out the left speaker only, as say, Cloud Collaboration. Yes . . . that's it!

"... thus giving you a mono mix of your stereo mix, only coming out of your left speaker."
Old 06-03-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Maybe it isn't an error. I bet that there are about as many PT users clamoring for a mono mix out the left speaker only...
Wait, maybe this is actually a simulation of the old drive-in theaters. Remember the metal speakers you'd hang on the driver's side window? Mono, left side, hmmm...
Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Wait, maybe this is actually a simulation of the old drive-in theaters. Remember the metal speakers you'd hang on the driver's side window? Mono, left side, hmmm...
Can we have an Australian Version? You know, where we hang it on the right side?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
Can we have an Australian Version? You know, where we hang it on the right side?
That is "coming soon" !!!
Old 06-04-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
True, of course, but when is the last time you saw an oversight like that in documentation from Apple or BMW (and the latter even has to go through a language translation)?

Apparently it is possible to prevent such errors. I don't know the mechanism for doing so since it's not my area of expertise, but it seems the companies that value how they're perceived have figured it out.

Maybe it's more expensive to get things right the first time, but I'd rather pay a little more for the assurance that what I'm using will work correctly and what I'm reading is accurate. The way things are now, I'm not confident that the product I buy from Avid will be reliable.
There are multiple ways of finding these types of things.

First is to have someone actually review the material other than the person that wrote it. Spell and grammar check only find those kinds of errors and won't find the type of error posted about here.

Another way is to give the newly written documentation to someone and ask them to use it exactly as written and to notate any errors. This worked great when I was an employed EE. Write up a test procedure for something and give it to a tech and ask that person to run the procedure. There were times the tech would find something that didn't make sense to him and would come back with questions. Test procedure gets edited (and hopefully corrected), given back to the tech, and the procedure is re-run. Repeat until the written procedure coincides with the hardware (or software in many cases).

QAPLA!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:07 AM

This really is a very small error, even though the meaning of the words becomes so wrong. I doubt very many people would actually read that paragraph all the way through... including proofreaders. I was mainly posting for fun.

Having said that... Jeffro, your work on the DUC is phenomenal. Thank you. If Avid was a democratic nation and the users were the citizens, I think you'd have a good shot at Prime Minister.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Obviously mistakes are made all the time. The real measure of competency is how quickly the mistake gets rectified.

In this instance it wouldn't be hard to fix.....but we're talking Avid here.
On April 9 I mentioned to Avid that the free trial page still linked to Pro Tools 11, not 12. I was told "it's on the list" of things to be updated and received an apology for not updating it sooner. This was after two or three weeks of asking around on the DUC how to get a demo of 12.

As of today, eight weeks later, it STILL hasn't been updated!

I get the feeling (and it's just that, I have no actual knowledge of how Avid works) that either they are under-staffed or there's a workflow management problem.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
There is no such thing as bug-free software, or (to my knowledge) the perfect set of operational instructions.
I guess my point to this point is, if they really had more time to make it better, rather than having the bean counters and release dictators running the show, then there wouldn't be as many bugs. And if a frog had wings...