Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Default Guitar recording problems. Please help!

Hey everyone, I recently got the Avid Recording Studio (for Christmas) and have set it up to my laptop. I know that the software can pick up the guitar, because it records it and when I have armed the recorder, I can hear it through my headphones.

The problem is that when I play the guitar back, the only thing I can hear is the metronome to begin with, the recording will then play but I will not be able to hear it. I have looked this up but have only found answers for why the guitar cannot be selected (outdated Mbox drivers) or why it will not record properly.

The recording is done, because you can see all the sound waves on the track itself, but they just won't play when you start playing the track. I have exported the track as a WAV file, but when I play the WAV file back in Media Player, all you can hear is a metronome playing every beat.

I am not sure why this is, and if I do not find out, then I will take the product back, because I need something that works for when I get my audio mixer.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Guitar recording problems. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ke002 View Post

The recording is done, because you can see all the sound waves on the track itself, but they just won't play when you start playing the track. I have exported the track as a WAV file, but when I play the WAV file back in Media Player, all you can hear is a metronome playing every beat.
It looks like you have recorded the metronome? So the wave form represents this.

Did you record to a mono Audio track?
Was the input set properly to your respective interface channel?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:32 AM

No, I didn't record the metronome, because the waves on the recording of the track were the same as I was playing on the guitar. As I said, when I had armed the recorder, I could hear the guitar through my headphones, whilst direct monitoring was off. Also, the metronome was only making a sound in the wav file that I produced, it wasn't making that sound during the actual recording of the track.

I may record my screen to show what the problem is.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Did you record to a mono Audio track?
Was the input set properly to your respective interface channel?

Could you answer these questions?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM

Yes, the input was set to 2 next to the audio track, which was mono. The audio interface was plugged in at the time.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 PM

Are you using a Win7 64-bit system?

I have the same problem sometimes. When recording audio, I can see that the recorded track is there (visually), but, it won't play. If I have multiple recordings on the same channel after each other, it can play one but not all..

I checked in the windows application log and found several errors as below, even though Avid claims this has nothing to do with problems (seen in other forum http://duc.avid.com/archive/index.php/t-287518.html ) and is the result of programmers leaving debug code in the SW before release (which of course is an indication of bad sw quality generally). Strange however, that I get these errors every time something doesn't work...

Failed to create the activation context for c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Controllers\D-Control_Resource404.dll. The composition dependence could not be found. Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86 ",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win3 2",v ersion="8.0.50727.762"
Old 12-31-2011, 04:36 AM

No, my computer has a Windows 7 32bit operating system. I took the device back and got a full refund from Maplin (who sold me the device). They said that it can happen to any audio interface if the computer isn't made for adding on extra thibgs (like a laptop), however, I feel this is not the case for this device, which I was very excited to get, but was very dissapointed when it failed to work properly. A shame, because I did like the fact that it could be used as an external sound card as well, because my onboard laptop sound card is just a Realtek HD Audio (not very good).