Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Default your Fav Guitar plugin....

hey Folks,

I have been spending time from time to time looking over the huge plugin lists in the sticky's above and what a wonderful resource that is eh' many thanks goes to those who put it together..... btw I'm not trying to start another here.

I mostly have used BIAS FX for my acoustic, electric and bass guitar when I don't have my amp mic'd.... plus it allows me to lay guitar tracks down at 3am without blasting the kids out of bed.... besides the "I wake up with Marshall" prank on Saturday mornings has worn a tad thin.

I like or really appreciate plugins that incorporate the natural sound of the instrument as well as the style of pickups installed, not rewrite the sound to a point where it doesn't matter what guitar you plugin it sounds the same especially where dirty guitar settings are concerned.

I use BIAS FX and BIAS AMP2 on my iPad for a few years now. So now that im about ready to start buying some plugins to add to my collection for my MBP. I'm interested to hear what other are using.... I have looked at the Native Instruments plugins which has some nice settings..... really couldn't figure out the eventide H3000 plugin I tried their trail version....

a nice reverb plugin suggestions which doesn't have to be designed for guitar.

thoughts muchly appreciated, I guess I'm kinda old school.... my fav guitar FX unit is a Roland GP8 haha
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM

Default Re: your Fav Guitar plugin....

I like Overloud TH3, if I want to use IRs then I bypass the cab and use Lancaster Audio Pulse which is made by the same developer.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:39 PM

Anything by Plugin Alliance

Here's a YouTube playlist of videos I made about their features

The new Waves PRS Supermodels are very nice.

BIAS is great.

Audio Assault makes some really great stuff too and it's usually not as expensive.

Amplitube is good.

NI Guitar Rig 5 is OK. It's great for effects, but the amps could be updated.

EZ Mix is actually pretty cool too.

There's plenty more out there, but that's what I can think of off hand. Pretty much just using the Plugin Alliance ENGL E646 VS amp at the moment. It's INSANE DUDE! (its usually on-sale around christmas if you can wait) It kills it with a 9 string too 🤘

Most of these have trials and their are free versions available for many as well.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 PM

Get a Kemper instead we bought one for a project we were doing for a pop star who the record company wanted to go more "rock" and for once they were right!! Who woulda thunk it ?!

Anyway We would never use a plugin again as long as our Kemper Profiler and our Fractal AXE FX3 which we got for free just helping a music store remix their radio advert and that took less than 10 minutes are working. They smoke any plugin and I wana feel they steel when I turn out a good sound.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 PM

I’ve never used a plug in - too old school I guess. My amps and good mics and mic positioning seems to work well - plus it doesn’t hurt that I have all my amps I’ve had since I was a kid / and they are all kept as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:49 AM

+1 to plugin-alliance ENGL
Old 09-18-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Anything by Plugin Alliance

Here's a YouTube playlist of videos I made about their features

The new Waves PRS Supermodels are very nice.

BIAS is great.

Audio Assault makes some really great stuff too and it's usually not as expensive.

Amplitube is good.

NI Guitar Rig 5 is OK. It's great for effects, but the amps could be updated.

EZ Mix is actually pretty cool too.

There's plenty more out there, but that's what I can think of off hand. Pretty much just using the Plugin Alliance ENGL E646 VS amp at the moment. It's INSANE DUDE! (its usually on-sale around christmas if you can wait) It kills it with a 9 string too 🤘

Most of these have trials and their are free versions available for many as well.
Props to PIA for the Engl 646 - it's my goto for many purposes anymore (high gain or clean). A favorite chain for me is the 646 and Soundtoys Rack with EchoBoy and Filter Freak in it.

Guitar Rig 5 is good but like you say it sorely needs an update. Even though it's in Komplete 12 sadly it looks like it's become abandonware.

Amplitube 4 for me is a mixed bag. Like the Mesa Boogie, Fender 1 and Ampeg 1 collections; don't like any of their Marshall models. Still looking for really good Marshall models in s/w.

What I would like to see in s/w is a Magnatone amp. Nobody does one that I know and would love to be corrected on that. Those of a certain age will know the mojo of their tone. And for the love of all that is guitar - a Portaflex that is NOT a B15

QAPLA!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Amplitube 4 for me is a mixed bag. Like the Mesa Boogie, Fender 1 and Ampeg 1 collections; don't like any of their Marshall models. Still looking for really good Marshall models in s/w.

Have you tried the Slash JCM800? I dig it for punk.

I use Amplitude 4 mostly because the interface is fun for clients; setting up their actual rigs for scratch tracks is neat! 95% of keeper guitar tracks here involve real mics and cabs, tho.

I couldn't get any good sounds out of S-Gear at all. Not my bag.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Have you tried the Slash JCM800? I dig it for punk.

I use Amplitude 4 mostly because the interface is fun for clients; setting up their actual rigs for scratch tracks is neat! 95% of keeper guitar tracks here involve real mics and cabs, tho.

I couldn't get any good sounds out of S-Gear at all. Not my bag.
Haven't gone for the Slash bundle as I'm put off in general by Amplitube's Marshall models. If you've ever played one from back in the day you'll get what I'm talking about. I just can't get inspired by IK's models. How they could get so many other models right but the Marshalls suck I don't know.

QAPLA!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Haven't gone for the Slash bundle as I'm put off in general by Amplitube's Marshall models. If you've ever played one from back in the day you'll get what I'm talking about. I just can't get inspired by IK's models. How they could get so many other models right but the Marshalls suck I don't know.
I own two JCM800s from the 90's and play out with them frequently. I am a huge fan of the Marshall sound for punk rock; I don't even use any pedals, just straight P-90s into the head, everything at 10 except the main (that rarely goes above 1 for your average club, lol).

Try to demo the Slash models if you can, I like them a lot better than the regular Amplitube Marshalls. That being said, again, this isn't for keeper-tracks 95% of the time...