Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 04:50 PM

Default ALL projects are missing audio files

Not sure what we're missing here, but here's the deal:

I run PT HDX. A friend of mine has started using PT First and wants to record some of his music to send to me. We've done some screen sharing and got him set up (as far as input, setup, etc). The issue he's been having is that if he closes a session and reopens it (whether it's overnight or 5 minutes), when it reopens, all the audio is gone and the task manager is searching for missing audio files. I don't get it. He's tried multiple sessions and lost everything about 4 or 5 times now. He's hitting save after every edit so it's not a matter of not saving work.

I have noticed when I'm watching his screen that every change (recording, editing, adding new tracks) brings up the task manager and says failed to upload (or something like that). He's connected to the internet and is logged into his avid account through pro tools. He also has space in his account so it's not a storage issue. I don't know what else to tell him...

Why is Pro Tools failing to upload anything from the sessions and why is the local cache not saving his changes?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 09-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Default Re: ALL projects are missing audio files

This is how he described it:

I can do a session. As as long as I don’t close it and open another session I can open “last saved”. But, if I go to a different session or shut down for the day when I come back it brings up the session like what happened with what you saw. Tracks there, files no where to be found. The entire setup is still intact just no actual files.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 09-15-2018, 06:39 PM

You mean Pro Tools First Project?... he can't be working in a *session*.

The error message is likely trying to tell you exactly the problem... what *exactly* is it saying....

With nothing else going on can he create a new empty project and do something trivial like record silence into it?

He has a paid Pro Tools First account? (so will allow more than the 3?? default Project limit? -- I'm not sure what the limit is...). Is he using a unique personal account or are you folks somehow trying to share an account?

Still stuck he should probably just open a support ticket.

I'm not at all convinced I want to inflict Pro Tools First and unreliable web collaboration on folks.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-15-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre3132 View Post
This is how he described it:

I can do a session. As as long as I don’t close it and open another session I can open “last saved”. But, if I go to a different session or shut down for the day when I come back it brings up the session like what happened with what you saw. Tracks there, files no where to be found. The entire setup is still intact just no actual files.
This is not helping at all, all he's seeing is the last cached session on disk. You need to solve why the project never uploads. See other reply.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You mean Pro Tools First Project?... he can't be working in a *session*.

The error message is likely trying to tell you exactly the problem... what *exactly* is it saying....

With nothing else going on can he create a new empty project and do something trivial like record silence into it?

He has a paid Pro Tools First account? (so will allow more than the 3?? default Project limit? -- I'm not sure what the limit is...). Is he using a unique personal account or are you folks somehow trying to share an account?

Still stuck he should probably just open a support ticket.

I'm not at all convinced I want to inflict Pro Tools First and unreliable web collaboration on folks.
ok...I really haven't used the collab stuff so forgive my use of "session." There is no error message. When the he opens up a project and records something into it, it's fine. He'll save it and close it. When he reopens the project, everything is exactly as it was (volumes, mutes, pans, etc), but all the audio files are missing.

We each have our own account. He has PT First with a cloud storage plan. I have my HD plan.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 09-15-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre3132 View Post
ok...I really haven't used the collab stuff so forgive my use of "session." There is no error message. When the he opens up a project and records something into it, it's fine. He'll save it and close it. When he reopens the project, everything is exactly as it was (volumes, mutes, pans, etc), but all the audio files are missing.

We each have our own account. He has PT First with a cloud storage plan. I have my HD plan.
You said there is an error message when he saves stuff... that seems key here.

Besides rechecking he is actually logged into the real account you think (folks here do run into issues with multiple accounts). If nothing has been save OK I'd also delete all sessions and trash prefs and try again. And if still no luck I'd have him go ahead and start a support case....after getting him to note the exact error message on save. I would hope Avid should be able to see exactly what is going on in the cloud for a user's account project saves.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:34 PM

The error message I meant was the missing audio files message when he starts the project. He has the standard options of skip all, manually find and relink, and automatically find and relink.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8