Kick: SM57s
Snare: D1s & D2s
Tom: KM184s
Overhead: U87s
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 10:47 AM

Default Re: best mic for micing toms??

Ekko,

That is exactly what I am talking about.

I know about the whole dynamic thing, I was a session drummer in chicago for a while. I am also an engineer, and I have found that those who hit the drums hard, and properly, get the best sound, assuming they have good heads and good drums. I engineered sessions where the drummer played really wimpy. The snare sounded like crap, and the toms were thin. I ended re-doing the drums myself.

The reason I say hit em hard is, one, they sound better, and two, A hot drum sounds better when you bring it down in the mix than a wimpy drum that you have to bring up.

Yes, I know jazz drummers play softly, I did a lot of jazz sessions, but the good drummers knew how to do it well. There are so many drummers out there, in any style, that really don't know how to play properly. Yeah, anyone can hit a drum in time to music, but guys like Carter Beauford, Jimmy Chamberlin, Danny Carey, Lewis Nash, Louie Bellson, and Buddy Rich all know how to play properly. That is why they were and are the best. When I was in Chicago, I did a session with a guitarist who played with Elvin Jones, one of the greatest all time jazz drummers,and the only thing he said about him was, "Man, that guy plays really f**king loud!"

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 10:56 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention.

Whereas I wouldn't recommend you use a stereo mic for overhead(s), if you have to, the Shure VP88 is a good Stereo mic for around $800.

Neumann makes a good stereo mice, but it is really pricey, as well as Sanken.

A general rule when it comes to micing drums, especially if you haven't been engineering for years and years, is try to change it up everytime you track drums.

When I was in school, I miced my drums differently almost every time, just to hear the difference.

The only correct way to mic drums is the way that makes them sound good. However you achieve that is up to you. The John Bonham example is a good one. He only ever used two overhead mics. On the tune "when the levy breaks", the drums were recorded in a stairwell with two mics, and that was it.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:32 AM

In the last few years I've been fortunate enough to work with some pretty good drummers (Peter Erskine, Chad Whakerman, Gary Husband etc.) and the one thing they have in common (apart from great chops) is that they are all very loud! Contary to some of the statements above volume does not preclude dynamics, it enhaces it. The louder the loud bits the perceived quieter the quiet bits, i.e. better dynamics.

While John Bonham had pretty good dynamics I can assure you would not want to be in the same room when he was working out a part. His "normal" playing volume was a solid "11". The big over arm whacks were not just for the arena crowds - he always played like that!

Bottom line - a good, well tuned drum kit will sound better and record better when played loud by a good drummer. (Man, there's a lot of qualifiers there...I should have been an attorney [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) I won't even say "depending on the type of music". Joe Morello, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey - stand in front of any of those guys when they cut lose and they will get your bell bottoms flapping!
Old 11-11-2002, 12:32 AM

wow, thanks for all the wonderful replies.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:35 PM

FYI
Want to make your 57s sound GREAT on toms.
place the mic 2" in from rim straight, and I mean straight down at the head 1/2" to 3/4" off the skin.

assuming the tom already sounds good.

Once I learned this technique I quit using the other mics I had availible. 421s and 98s

D
Old 11-15-2002, 04:41 AM

Personally:

SM57
Sennheisser 421
Sennheisser E604
Sennheisser 109

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 11-15-2002, 07:31 PM

FWIW, I've worked at major rooms in LA and Miami and without a doubt the industry standard is the 421.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:06 PM

I use 421's on my toms, but make sure to experiment with the dial on the end of the mic. The M&S stand for Music and Speech and it has a few clicks in between. You'd be surprised. Often I am closer to speech.