Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Avid

Default Re: Why can't i bounce to MP3?...my 2cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccuwan View Post
I am here to endorse the comments of those before me. How can Avid have the cahonnas to charge an additional $20 for the bounce to MP3 option. I'm a recent convert from Audacity (freeware) where the MP3 capability is free as well and simply don't understand. When I told my colleagues I was taking the plunge, they said there was little to gain. Frankly, after a few weeks, I totally disagree but was highly disappointed in this little money grab from a company that I have already spent a substantially amount of coin with. You'd think they were elected. Makes me wonder what little hidden tax is next as I dig deeper into the capabilities of this software.
The reason for this is that, like any other company, we pay a licensing fee to Fraunhofer for their codec. Companies like Apple are big enough to be able to pay a 'blanket' license, which decreases the cost per unit when you're using/selling enough units, and absorb that cost in their hardware and software sales.

Because we're not as big as Apple the cost per unit sold is higher - we, of course, could add that to the cost of each unit, but decided against it since we figured there are so many free options out there that customers would want the choice of paying for it if they want it.

This, obviously, isn't ideal for a lot of people and we're looking at ways to possibly (not definitely, by any stretch) include it in future versions of Pro Tools.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Why can't i bounce to MP3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBp View Post
True !. it does kinda piss people off, its like going to a new car lot, picking out your car, and then you notice the steering wheel is missing
It's more like finding out that the cigarette lighter is an add on option. Easier to just use a Bic.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Why can't i bounce to MP3?...my 2cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

This, obviously, isn't ideal for a lot of people and we're looking at ways to possibly (not definitely, by any stretch) include it in future versions of Pro Tools.
I bet u take a poll & there are way more that do not use it & don't even care to than it is those that do use it...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Well for going to a CD-R I'll bounce in .wav. For going to .mp3 to upload onto Myspace or Soundclick, I need to convert the file. With the codec I can do two consecutive bounces -- one to a .wav in one folder, and another to .mp3 in another.

Without the codec, it's less convenient.

Bottom line? I think people would make the initial purchase at $299.99 for PT, than pay $319.98 for PT w/ codec included. It's that psychological marketing thing.

The thing in the recording hobby that really gets me is cables. I can make my own shielded 25' cables with XLR connectors for about $12 each. Yet those same cables are sold already made for about $150 just because they say "Monster" on them. Okay so they encase them in flexible conduit that I don't want.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
Well for going to a CD-R I'll bounce in .wav. For going to .mp3 to upload onto Myspace or Soundclick, I need to convert the file. With the codec I can do two consecutive bounces -- one to a .wav in one folder, and another to .mp3 in another.

Without the codec, it's less convenient.

Bottom line? I think people would make the initial purchase at $299.99 for PT, than pay $319.98 for PT w/ codec included. It's that psychological marketing thing.

The thing in the recording hobby that really gets me is cables. I can make my own shielded 25' cables with XLR connectors for about $12 each. Yet those same cables are sold already made for about $150 just because they say "Monster" on them. Okay so they encase them in flexible conduit that I don't want.
Although I do use the mp3 bounce from time to time, it is a heck of a lot faster to convert your bounced wav to mp3 in itunes then to do another realtime bounce to MP3. IMO As far as the cables are concerned, yes you can make your own cables, but if you were to buy the cable that they use, it's probably 2 dollars a foot to buy. It is really better more consistent cable then your regular bargain brand cable.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Although I do use the mp3 bounce from time to time, it is a heck of a lot faster to convert your bounced wav to mp3 in itunes then to do another realtime bounce to MP3.
Thank u... I'm not gonna say what kind of sense that is...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Although I do use the mp3 bounce from time to time, it is a heck of a lot faster to convert your bounced wav to mp3 in itunes then to do another realtime bounce to MP3. IMO As far as the cables are concerned, yes you can make your own cables, but if you were to buy the cable that they use, it's probably 2 dollars a foot to buy. It is really better more consistent cable then your regular bargain brand cable.
+1 on the slow bouncing that's just ridiculous for mp3. However I disagree with the cable. Really good high quality mogami cable runs .64 cents a foot. You can use better quality components diy than buying premade cable and it is a lot cheaper.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzer View Post
+1 on the slow bouncing that's just ridiculous for mp3. However I disagree with the cable. Really good high quality mogami cable runs .64 cents a foot. You can use better quality components diy than buying premade cable and it is a lot cheaper.
That's true, but you can't beat monster cable. It's guaranteed for life. My point is high quality cable can be expensive. The shielding, Awg, and quality of copper can make all the difference in the sound. More so on cables over 12 feet. Notice that most high end cables are 18 Ft instead of 25. I worked for a cable manufacturer years ago. The difference in the cable in the warehouse (price and quality) was huge.