Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Default Ilok driver problem with PT9

I keep trying to start PT9 but i get error saying install latest drivers..which i do..ive tried unstailling all drivers and pro tools itself but still gettin the same problem
anyone know what to do?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Ilok driver problem with PT9

are you on windows 7 64 bits?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM

hey yes im windows 64 bit
but i had it working few days ago but when i reinstalled my system again this is the problem im getting
Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM

I've had the exact same problem: I've tried downloading the client and the drivers, used to separate iLok keys, nothing works. I'm afraid to contact Avid tech support, because wait times before were 35-45 minutes, I'll bet now they're double that, what with the new PT9.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Right. Same thing happened to me. What you had working was the 32 bits drivers. And they work partialy. If you remember your device was called "iLok" in device manager. With the 64 bits drivers it's called "USB iLok Driver". I can't remember how I got the 32 bits drivers installed in the first place. maybe they were just the vuilt in microsoft drivers. The 64 bits drivers don't work. Windows will recognize the key when you plug it, install the 64 bits drivers but the key won't authorize anything. PT9 will report ilok key not present or drivers not installed as you're getting.
I can't find any drivers that work. It works fine on 32 bits systems. It's just the 64 bits drivers that are useless. Windows is not making it easier either with it's idiotic paranoia and the "I know better which drivers I want for this device" cr*p.

Latest drivers from ilok aparently have a bug.
Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope somebody will find a solution to this or ilok release something that works.

edit:

AVID has no fault in this except for the fact they've made PT9 on ilok auth only.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrmurray View Post
I've had the exact same problem: I've tried downloading the client and the drivers, used to separate iLok keys, nothing works. I'm afraid to contact Avid tech support, because wait times before were 35-45 minutes, I'll bet now they're double that, what with the new PT9.
Try the per incident pay support. Much better techs and much less wait time. I usually pay the flat rate or the per minute fee, depending on what my question might be for calling. Good luck.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msat View Post
Latest drivers from ilok aparently have a bug.
If that really were the case, wouldn't everybody be having problems with them?

Pro Tools, the PACE drivers, and all of my iLok authorized plugins are working correctly for me in Windows 7-64. I know of at least 5 other people personally who are also having success with it, as well as have read hundreds of posts on here about successes.

Here's one thing to note, the new pace drivers necessary to run Pro Tools 9 are installed with Pro Tools 9.

If you are having problems in Windows, I would recommend this procedure:
  • uninstall PT using the uninstaller and select a clean uninstall (everything)
  • reboot
  • uninstall latest PACE and iLok helper drivers (they are two separate drivers)
  • reboot
  • install the Latest PACE (www.paceap.com) and iLok Drivers (www.ilok.com).
  • reboot
  • download and install the latest driver(s) for your hardware
  • reboot
  • run the PT9 installer
  • reboot

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Follow the above suggestions. I have experimented with various install and uninstall routines and have Not had this problem.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
If that really were the case, wouldn't everybody be having problems with them?

Here's one thing to note, the new pace drivers necessary to run Pro Tools 9 are installed with Pro Tools 9.[/LIST]
I think you're right spkguitar. That would explain why it worked after I installed PT9 and I can't get the working drivers back even though it worked partialy.
Which meant the ilok drivers you download from ilok.com don't work. they will install their 64 bits drivers which don't work. PT9 is installing a 32 bits version of the drivers which work with some errors though (posted in another thread).
I'm pretty sure now that reinstalling PT9 would fix the problem. Your help is much appreciated don't get me wrong.

However this is not right that we have to reinstall everything every time a driver farts.
Personaly I'm having too much fun back in cubase now to be bothered with this reinstallation burden. I've done it way too many times now in only 1 month of PT ownership.
It seams that for any possible problem with PT there's only one common solution. Clean reinstall. If you also bought the PTIEP then you can kiss making music good bye and keep reinstalling.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Just reinstall the new PT9 drivers for your AVID hardware and reboot and your ilok should be working again. No need to reinstall PT9 and go through all that bother.
iLok drivers are included in the PT9 drivers pack.